1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can someone plz list harmful foods that I should avoid?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Luv Favorelles, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Luv Favorelles

Luv Favorelles Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2012
    Ok i really don't know what foods can be harmful and life threatening to my chickens for example I'm not fimiliar with foods that swell up in their craw so I don't feed them anything like grits until I'm sure. Whoever replies I want to say thank you [​IMG]

2. Gittx

Gittx Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Edom, Texas
    I have read from various sources not to feed potatoe peel, though I'm not sure why. I think they "like" everything!

3. lbrtyldy

lbrtyldy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2011
    I think my chickens are very fussy and spoiled as they don't like everything. Many treats I give them just wind up mashed into the ground. But I think they are pretty smart and "know" what they need and won't eat anything bad for them.

4. Malibu99

Malibu99 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2012
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    1 person likes this.
  5. Hillschicks

Hillschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    Potato and potato skins should be avoided by everything including chickens and ourselves... Uncooked potatos are supposedly very bad for us all... Other than that, our chickens seem to know what they want and dont want... As far as over eating, i wouldnt worry about that either... They can be enjoying a snack like its the greatest thing in the world, and like a switch goes off they willk just decide its been enough and wont touch it again... In my experience anyway

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by