Can someone tell me the sex's of these poults?

kgarbs

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 25, 2010
Missouri
I also need to know what breeds the are Please and Thank You!!!
100_2721.jpg

100_2729.jpg

Last edited:
My guess is as follows:
White one Male
brown one a hen.

Are they the same age? If not, the brown poult could still turn out to be a male.

I cant tell but just a note all White Midgets males and females have a beard. So you cant sex them like that. But feel around on the brown one's chest for the start of a beard.

The brown one could be a type of wild, but tough to guess which. In wild easterns, both male and female can have beards too. I'd imagine most turkeys are like that. The only true way to tell the difference is by the gobble. Females cannot gobble.

hinkjc is correct. the only tell-tale way is a gobble or an egg. All turkeys can grow beards, but male beards grow fuller, thicker, and longer. Females can get them and they arent as full.

That brown one is a bronze or BBB, the legs are way too thick to ever be a wild strain at that age, with that I'd guess a male too. With all bronze or wild strain birds you can easily tell the sex in about another month, as soon as they start to loose those juvenile feathers, and get their adults feathers, the hens will all have a greyish brown breast with BUFF laced breast feathers, toms will all be blacker and will never have lacing. At this age it doesnt work, but give it 3-4 more weeks and you will be able to tell for sure with this method.
The white, looks female ish.
Thinner legs and older than the bronze, head fuzz looks female too, onlt sure fire way to tell on them, is to wait til they gobble. Once you get good at it (helps to have a pair to see) you'll be able to notice little differences in male and female birds, females will have thinner legs, more fuzz up the neck, less head color, etc, males will have thicker legs, earlier spur buds, earlier beard (in the rare bearded hen cases) thicker beards also in those cases, snood will flop over where younger hens will stay erect, etc

Back
Top Bottom