Can someone tell me what kind of snake this is.

ginbart

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 9, 2008
Bloomsburg, PA
DH was mowing the lawn and ran over it. I was thinking a copper head?

7163_004.jpg

7163_003.jpg

It doesn't look like a copperhead to me. It's too skinny, the pattern is wrong, and then there's that cool marking on the head of the one you have there. Nah, I don't think it's a copperhead.

This is the closest thing I could find. Pennsylvania only has about 3 species of venomous snakes. There's like 18 nonvenomous though.

http://www.paherps.com/herps/snakes/milk_snake

What do the eyes look like? The species of poisonous snakes in PA have a slitted pupil and a pit on the face , and non poisonous have a round pupil and no pit. The three species are all in the pit viper family- Copperhead, Rattlesnake and Massasauga.

It was a corn snake (100% without a doubt)...the are completely harmless (when it comes to people anyway...they might take a chick if they could **shrug**)

corn snakes are wonderful for keeping away wild rats and mice...its a shame this guy is now gone...he was a pretty big one and you very well may now see an increase in mice and rats around your property

Same exact snake that was INSIDE my quail pen last week and ate my best Texas A&M quail hen. They are terrifying. So sneaky. And when you walk up to a pen and think there are just nice little quails inside and get confronted with the ugly thing ..............

I know they are good for rats and the like, but not in my backyard! It makes me not want to even go outside.

Its actually an eastern milk snake. Same genus as corn snakes but corn snakes are not native to Pa and milk snakes are. Primary food is mice, so do not kill on purpose!

Quote:
Well I know he didn't know he ran over it until it was too late. Maybe we have more of them around.

I'd rather have the snakes then the rats and mice.

Back
Top Bottom