Can spinach give rabbits diaherria?

deserthomestead

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 28, 2013
Sandy Valley, NV
I just got a breeding pair of Californians last night. Their poo was normal last night and this morning. I gave them each a small handful of spinach leaves as a treat, and they loved it! Now they're both having looser stools, especially the doe.

Did I give them too much? I believe their old owners just gave them hay pellets. Should I introduce fresh greens more gradually?

Did I give them too much? I believe their old owners just gave them hay pellets. Should I introduce fresh greens more gradually?
I think you've got it figured out.
smile.png

Rabbit's stomachs are super sensitive. Any new introduction to a new food should be done slowly. A good tip is, introduce new foods one at a time, that way, if they have a problem with a certain food, you'll know which one.

No greens at all! Any type of treat can cause diarrhea, especially any type of green because of the amount of water in it. I would recommend just a little bit of apple or carrot, or just plain oats.

Apple and carrots are actually worse for rabbits than greens. Apples and carrots contain a large amount of sugar, which causes cancer. It's actually recommended that rabbits have greens in their diets. Fruits and carrots are to be only given as treats. I think this is a newer discovery.
If anyone's interested, I have a whole list of foods to feed and not to feed your rabbits.

Last edited:
Apple and carrots are actually worse for rabbits than greens. Apples and carrots contain a large amount of sugar, which causes cancer. It's actually recommended that rabbits have greens in their diets. Fruits and carrots are to be only given as treats. I think this is a newer discovery.
If anyone's interested, I have a whole list of foods to feed and not to feed your rabbits.

Yes, please!
clap.gif

Here is a list of vegetables that are good to feed your rabbit:

Carrot tops

Broccoli tops (on occasion)

Romaine hearts (on occasion)

Dandelion
greens (they love these and they are cheap to buy)

Kale (on occasion)

Argugula

Beet tops

Parsley (on occasion)

Mint leaves

Escarole

Chicory

Basil

Broccoli rabe

Dried oak leaves

Here's a list of foods to avoid:

Nuts

Seeds

Beans

Most peas

Most wildflowers

Citrus

Iceberg lettuce

I copied it from my website so sorry that it's long.

Back
Top Bottom