Can Squirrels kill chickens?

Jillgoudie

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 28, 2013
I checked on my chickens this am to find one on the floor with its head bitten off. All the other chickens were milling around!!
Nothing had dug under the coop, no evidence at all that an animal had got into the coop. The only animals I see regularly squeezing through the chicken wire is 'squirrels'. Is it possible the chicken may have challenged the squirrels as they stole food and the squirrels retaliated ???? I know they have sharp teeth. Any thoughts would be great!

What kind of squirrels? Ground squirrels are not carnivorus but they are certainly omnivorus, though for them that generally means they eat bugs etc. I guess I could see them going after small chicks, maybe, but I'd be surprised if they tried a grown hen. If the bird was near the fence it could have been a racoon. And if the wire has openings large enough to allow a squirrel in then weasels can certainly get in as well.

I checked on my chickens this am to find one on the floor with its head bitten off. All the other chickens were milling around!!
Nothing had dug under the coop, no evidence at all that an animal had got into the coop. The only animals I see regularly squeezing through the chicken wire is 'squirrels'. Is it possible the chicken may have challenged the squirrels as they stole food and the squirrels retaliated ???? I know they have sharp teeth. Any thoughts would be great!
Not squirrels. As mentioned, it possibly is a weasel as they can get through holes smaller than a squirrel. My chickens chase the squirrels.

A squirrel got into my coop and mauled an adult buff orpington. The hen died of her injuries a few hours later. I saw it happen, so, yes, a squirrel can kill a chicken.

Back
Top Bottom