Can Swans Eat Fruit?

bdfive

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 11, 2010
South of Blanco, TX
My juvenile pair of Black swans could care less about their Mazuri Waterfowl Feed so I'm trying to find alternatives for feeding. Can they eat fruit? I searched and searched and can't find any info on the subject. I have found they love the feeder goldfish and enjoy chasing them down in the water. I've been cutting some store bought cod fish up in pieces and they eat that too. Giving them lots of vegetable but seems some fruit would be in order. Are any of you feeding fruit to your swans? Thanks.

Heel low:

Nope, never offered any fruit to the swans but there is a raspberry patch in the one yard of theirs...they could be sneaking fruits and we would be none the wiser.
wink.png

Raspberry patch

We feed vegetable proteins (greens, grains, waterfowl pelleted ration) not "animal" proteins. If you are experiencing no adverse health issues and they live into a ripe old age, I guess animal protein may be thought to be part of their diet. I just have never considered giving them access to any of that. It don't help that we have some feeder fish in our fish pond going on ten years of age, so I guess we don't really think of them in terms of their original purpose, as FEED. LMBO

Swans are physically designed & choose to reside in areas where they may easily consume aquatic plants. The Black swans have the longest necks to body ratio of all their species...so I would base my feeding on that concept...nice crunchy water plants...to me that = romaine lettuce and spinach...GREENS that we feed everyday in winter to them.

2013 - the pens

I've got the basic waterfowl pelleted ration (no medications in this!) mixed with a bit some whole grains of heavy oats, hard red wheat (no corn, its summer here). Feed is never let to get molding and no botulism risks...keep the feed dry and fresh. What the pairs don't prefer, they leave in their pails so I know how to adjust my mix more precisely. Oats are good source of protein for building up nice feathers...so I see that eaten more when they are moulting and putting on a new suit of plumage. I have added black oil sunflower seeds at times when I can remember to. I figure the dark pigments are good for birds like the East Indie Ducks, certain varieties of Calls, the Mandarins, and of course our lovely Blacks.

Aug 6, 2010 - the cobs
I find that in summer time, mine are grazing on clover alot...if you mow their grassy area, clover is encouraged to grow more profusely and well, they sure must enjoy it alot since their kiddy pool gets pretty GREEN water quality wise.
tongue.png

Things I have witnessed them eating on the land are grasses and clover, dandelion seeds.

May 28, 2015 - pair - Piper and Pearl eating dandelion seeds

Yesterday, I was weeding the raspberry patch in the one pair's yard and each handful of "weeds" (dandelions, grassy shoots--so basically some of the stuff you would find growing in a pasture like setting but more like TENDERS)...Pearl was more than delighted to grab them and shake the dirt off to consume them. She thought the whole ordeal was like this salad bar and my only purpose was all about her needs, not the plants.

You are aware of course that the saying that the "grass is always greener on the other side," applies to Blacks too?
lol.png

July 8, 2015

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

Just happened across this and thought even tho it's been a long time I'd say thanks for all the information you shared. Still have my swans and guess I'd have to say craziest thing with them that's happened was Gunther, the male went broody sitting on an empty 3 foot high nest he built, LOL!!! Finally after 3 weeks I broke him completely from his trance. So nice to have his normal personality return. Hope all is well on your end.

My juvenile pair of Black swans could care less about their Mazuri Waterfowl Feed so I'm trying to find alternatives for feeding. Can they eat fruit? I searched and searched and can't find any info on the subject. I have found they love the feeder goldfish and enjoy chasing them down in the water. I've been cutting some store bought cod fish up in pieces and they eat that too. Giving them lots of vegetable but seems some fruit would be in order. Are any of you feeding fruit to your swans? Thanks.
Yes, I did. They have no problem with that you can feed them as side dish and if you like you can cut them with small pieces easy for them to eat.

Back
Top Bottom