Can the coop be on the north side of a building?

Crustychicks

In the Brooder
May 2, 2022
So, our chickens live in an old barn, and the room for the hens is spacey, but has only one (medium large) window. Unfortunately, the window is pointing towards the north, so in the morning there is sun shining, but in the afternoon, there is a shade just where the run would be located.
Are the hens alright even if the run is towards the north, and it wont get a lot of sun? I could extend the run, so it is on a west corner, so sun shines there most of the time.
So, the final question, do chickens suffer if they dont get direct sunlight all the time (or minimal amounts)?

Thanks

Welcome to BYC.

It greatly depends on location. My coop/run are on the north side of the property. The run is in deep shade with only intermittent streaks of sun through the day. The coop is under another roof...the light there I would only call ambient. At what latitude it would matter, I do not know (if at all). As far as I know they only need light not necessarily direct sun.

Welcome to BYC.

It greatly depends on location. My coop/run are on the north side of the property. The run is in deep shade with only intermittent streaks of sun through the day. The coop is under another roof...the light there I would only call ambient. At what latitude it would matter, I do not know (if at all). As far as I know they only need light not necessarily direct sun.
Thanks! That clears a lot of things 😊

Welcome to BYC.

Where, in general, are you? Climate matters.

In a hot climate shade is absolutely critical and even in a moderate climate it can be desirable. Chickens are naturally creatures of the forest floor. Also, they tolerate cold much more readily than they tolerate heat so a cooler, shadier area is usually a good thing.

I like to give my chickens choices so that they can have both shade and sun according to their desire of the moment.

Welcome to BYC.

Where, in general, are you? Climate matters.

In a hot climate shade is absolutely critical and even in a moderate climate it can be desirable. Chickens are naturally creatures of the forest floor. Also, they tolerate cold much more readily than they tolerate heat so a cooler, shadier area is usually a good thing.

I like to give my chickens choices so that they can have both shade and sun according to their desire of the moment.
I live in a nordic country, in Finland to be exact, so hotness isnt really a problem. Its nice and warm in the summer, but cold and dark in the winter.
Thank you for your answer. Maybe i really will extend the pen to the sunny side, so the hens can choose. 😄

I live in a nordic country, in Finland to be exact, so hotness isnt really a problem. Its nice and warm in the summer, but cold and dark in the winter.
Thank you for your answer. Maybe i really will extend the pen to the sunny side, so the hens can choose. 😄

In a high latitude you will certainly want to make sure that they have access to sun in season.

Here's a good article about cold-climate chicken care: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/cold-weather-poultry-housing-and-care.72010/

Back
Top Bottom