Can these eggs still hatch?

DaddyChicken

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 9, 2011
Byron, GA
I have five hens and one busy rooster at this time. My White Wyandotte has been sitting on some eggs for 2-21/2 weeks. When I first missed her being in the back yard a couple weeks ago, she was sitting on about a half-dozen but since then she has scooped up eggs from other hens and she now has 15 eggs.

Here's the problem, I forgot to open the coop door before I went to church yesterday morning. I let them out early after noon and didn't realize the coop door closed when they came out. Later my son came in the house and asked why the chicks were locked out of the coop. I can't believe I missed that! So my hen was off the eggs for 4-7 hours.

Do these eggs/chicks have any chance of surviving and hatching out? Thanks!

If the eggs are fertile, they will still be viable. The problem is that you will be facing a staggered hatch as eggs have been added during the incubation period. In my experience most hens will leave the nest within 36 hours of the first chick hatching. If you remove chicks immediately upon hatching, you may be able to get her to brood longer. Do you have an incubator just in case she leaves the nest?

My main concern was that since she was not able to get to the eggs for so long the chicks mayhave died in the egg. I can't rememberwhat time I opened the coop but she could have been off the nest up to seven hours.

Back
Top Bottom