Can They Come Out of the Brooder Yet?

henningheather

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 13, 2008
Idaho
My chicks (27 of them) are 2 weeks and 3 days today and they are still in the brooder. We have them in a big galvanized feeding trough (round) with a red light. They are doing great! My question is this: When can I take them out of the brooder and allow them into the main coop? They are using the waterers as a stepping stone to the rim of the brooder. It won't be two more days until I find one out and alone on the floor of the chicken house. I could add a roof to the brooder but I would really rather let them out and get used to the new house. Of course they would have their heat lamp still but I don't want to traumatize them. Any advice would be appreciated!

19759_june_2_09_012.jpg

This is a pic of the brooder before the chicks arrived. The floor is covered in wood shavings now too.

I agree, I moved mine into a corner of the stable at 2 weeks - still with the lamp and have extended the area every week so they are now, at 5 weeks, in their full area - 12' x 6'. They still have their lamp on but have lots of space to run around in. ( I only have 4) Go for it!

I don't know how cold it gets there in Idaho overnight at this time of year, but where I live I moved my chicks out of the brooder and into the henhouse at 1-1/2 weeks old, and I didn't even supply a heat lamp. They did great. The days were in the 80s and the evenings were in the 50s at the time. It was warmer in the henhouse though, they had tons of bedding, and there were 26 of them.

Since you have access to a heat lamp anyway, and they have the henhouse to themselves (not older and bigger birds), I'd definitely move them out there. They'll love all the space to play. Just make sure it's not too close to the bedding to catch fire. Where I live, the days are in the 80s and 90s and the evenings are in the 70s. If it were me (and I'm by no means telling you what to do or what you should do, or suggesting my opinion is the best) I'd just move them out there with a night light on at night. I wouldn't even use the heat lamp this time of year for fear the bedding would catch fire.

Yup, let them out! Heat lamp is up to you; you will probably find they stay away from it, or will in a week or so, at least. I would certainly not have it on during the day. And -- any time you use a heat lamp, there should be a double setup to hang it from, so if one fails, there is a backup.

Let them out! They will enjoy it, just make sure they still have the heat lamp in case they want to get under it. They love to spread to their wings!

Quote:
I want that brooder, please, where did you get it???????

That is an old galvanized stock tank that no longer held water, it turned out to be the perfect brooder!

Back
Top Bottom