1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can they eat herbs?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by KauAnnie, Jul 1, 2011.

1. KauAnnie

KauAnnie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Maui
    I have many herbs including rosemary, basil, cilantro and etc. Is it edible for them? Also, can they eat lavender(flowers, leaves.)? ohh and last question! Haha, I have a pond filled with fish only (koi and guppies), is it safe for them to drink from there?? Thank you!

2. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    Hi KauAnnie,

I find the chickens are very good at picking only from edible sources. They can eat herbs, but they don't seem to eat the woody ones like rosemary or lavender. I find they generally favour my radish tops, spinach, beet greens, etc... There are probably some herbs that would be harmful or toxic but I've found they simply don't eat them.

If the fish are healthy the water will be healthy and perfectly fine for chickens. [​IMG]

Good luck,
    Erica

3. KauAnnie

KauAnnie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Maui
    Thank you [​IMG]

4. chickenbaguette

chickenbaguette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Herbs are good for chickens and they have lots of antioxidants and things in them! But as Erica says, they don't like the woody or too strong-flavoured ones. They'll eat the ones that are good for them [​IMG]

5. islandchix

islandchix Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2011
    Hawaii
    My hens don't like the rosemary or the lavender, but go after the basil and cilantro when they can. I agree with the others, they know what to eat and not eat.

6. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:My chicks love garlic chives, bee balm, mint and other mild herbs. I haven't tried woody herbs like rosemary. My sage is too little so I have't shared and I haven't noticed them eating my basil, although they're able to get to several basil plants.
    Nastituriums is a favorite, too. Especially when it's covered in aphids, lol!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  7. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    Mine love basil and cilantro, and go after our chives, too. They could care less about my rosemary plants.

8. lfreem2

lfreem2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Waxhaw, NC
    I've tried parsley a few times, and my chickens were NOT interested.

9. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine like garlic chives, nastituriums, bee balm, mint, cilantro and parsley. I doubt they would eat woody herbs like rosemary or lavender. I haven't shared my sage or oregano, because my plants are too small still. Basil I'm sure they would like but I love my basil so unless they nip at in the garden, I'm not sharing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by