can they eat this or will it makem sick and kill them?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Mogli, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Mogli

Mogli Chillin' With My Peeps

can chickens eat high moisture corn the kind that u feed to cows? its corn but just really moist. if they can eat dryd cracked feild corn i would think they should be able to eat high moisture corn without harming them [​IMG]

2. caspernc

caspernc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    I would think so as long as there is nomold. Now cows on the other hand can eat moldy stuff. Cattle grade hay is horrid. So I would kindof wonder about how mold free the wet corn would be. But really I don't know [​IMG]

3. Mogli

Mogli Chillin' With My Peeps

thats were i got it from a dairy farm that i work at i scooped up a small bucket to c if they would eat it but i wanted to ask someone on this site to c if its ok for them to eat i havent fed it to them yet i just wanna know if they can eat it:caf

4. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't think it would be a problem but watch out for fermintation....you might have drunk chickens on your hands. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  5. KaylaBird

KaylaBird Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2010
    Sunny SoCal
    I'm sure the chickens would be fine eating it in moderation. We throw our old corn cobs out into their run for them to peck at.

Cows however, cannot digest and process corn. They have rumen, different from our stomachs that are made specifically for grass and other field fodder. That doesnt seem to stop people from feeding them corn though. Corn is cheaper to feed them than alfalfa, someone pays the cost somewhere though...

6. wayneh

wayneh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    N. E. Alabama
    I have found that they will eat most anything. Have also found out, if they don't like it, they don't eat it. If we feed ours something they don't like, they will peck at it a couple times then they are done. It will lay there until it rots, I move it, or the birds eat it.

7. ILuvMyPetChickens

ILuvMyPetChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2011
    Leavittsburg, Ohio
    Just don't feed them Avacados.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by