Can they even do this...????

chicken50dude

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 14, 2013
Here's a link to a story out of Wisconsin. Apparently a town board was going to vote on an ordinance limiting residential homes to 4 chickens. After a chicken coop neighbor rallied his friends to complain about it, the board banned chickens in city limits....this family has 90 days to get rid of 15 hens..what should they do?

Click here to see the story...share with a s many people as possible....this is wrong, isn't it?

http://www.nbc26.com/news/local/191122891.html

We live in a representative democracy under a system of laws. If the people we elect pass laws we are expected to follow then whether we agree with them or not. I know some places where the speed limits are ridiculously low. I’m basing that opinion on my education that included some traffic classes. But just because in my opinion those speed limits are ridiculously low and therefore create a danger and am convinced my college professor would feel the same way does not mean I can violate those without risking a ticket.

It appears the governing body in Sherwood, who I assume were legally elected, has the legal authority to pass regulations like this. I think it is a shame they chose this route. Often people that already have chickens are grandfathered in when these types of regulations change.

I’m not a lawyer and I don’t know all the potential legal actions the residents might take. A good public relations campaign might help get the legal authorities to change their minds. Seems like they have 90 days to try this approach.

Another possible action is for you to move there and try to elect people that see things your way. That’s the way it works in a representative democracy.

Last edited:
Well, if there are only 2 families that own chickens in the town they are likely fighting an uphill battle. If there wasn't a law in place beforehand banning chickens they may have a legal leg to stand on. If there was something saying chickens (livestock) weren't allowed then they don't. It sounds like their only option will be a legal battle.

Education and advocacy are the best ways. When I had chickens in the suburbs many people would say "oh chickens are dirty and smell" many of these people had grown up in areas with huge chicken farms and were attributing that to the keeping of a few hens.

This is just terrible. Let's be honest, i would have a cup of coffee inside my coop! I really wonder why the neighbors are so up in arms about it. The city is supposed to protect the citizens from this type of harassment. I bet there are lots of people who would like and support chickens they just need to find the people to support them.

Back
Top Bottom