Can they go outside?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by bigredfeather, Sep 9, 2009.

1. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I have two Guinea's that are about 9 weeks old. I currently have them in with a group of chickens the same age. I was wondering when they can be safely let out of the coop to free range?

2. Struttn1

Struttn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    When they are fully feathered they are ok to free range. Soaking rain will kill them if they aren't fully feathered. I don't even pen my 3 month olds anymore and they return to the roost board in the pole barn every evening.

3. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    hey struttn1!

yes but HOW do you get them to come back?!?!?! i have three just-about-3 month olds that are the flightiest most ridiculous little birds i've ever seen! just open the door and hope for the best!?!??! i'm kind of a nervous nelly.....

4. Struttn1

Struttn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    Mine just hang around in the backyard, woods and on my roof. They have never strayed far away and always roost on the roost board inside the pen in the polebarn. I do have a flock of turkeys and they are far more rangey than the guineas.

5. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    golly... ok then.... i guess i just have to cowboy up and do it. i also have two adults who are in a tractor who make monkey screaming sounds... zoikes! i like the dr seuss-y characteristic of them tho... very interesting little birds

hows them turks?

6. Toddman07

Toddman07 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Quote:Try only letting one out at first. It wont want to be by itself, so it'll stick close to where the others are. Then, as you progress(couple days) let another out. They wont want to leave their buddy alone.

I did that with mine, and 5 of them hover around where two are still pinned.

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    My young ones seemed to be attracted to roost where the other birds were roosting, they just kind of migrate to where the rest of the flock is. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by