Can they live together?

quiltnchik

Songster
10 Years
May 19, 2009
Virginia
I have chicks due Saturday/Sunday and quail due Tuesday/Wednesday. Will it be okay to put the Coturnix babies in with the chicks or should they be in separate brooders?

I would worry about the size difference at that young of an age. Maybe someone else knows differently, but I would say no.
idunno.gif

Quote:
That's what I was thinking too, but wanted to ask and be sure. DH rolled his eyes earlier when I said I needed 2 more brooders set up, 'cause my Frizzle pair is currently hogging my main brooder
gig.gif

The biggest problem is the size, because the quail are eye-level with the chicks vents. That can cause big problems if they decide to pick. Just watch them closely to make sure there isn't any picking. Quail grow very fast, so they'll be the same size in no time.

The key is making sure the new chicks are agile already on their feet. I can put day old chicks in with 4 week old chicks (all coturnix or an assortment of different chicks species and breeds) in the same big brooder as long as I follow that guidline. I make sure the chick isn't the "im just hatched and sleepy and wobbily" that makes them a target for the spunky older chicks (even by just hours)! And then toes can be bloodied as well as beaks and as Shelley said vents. Though I've never had a vent issue when it has happened it's always mainly bloodied toes from them grabbing the helpless chicks and TRYING merciliessly to EAT THEIR TOES
th.gif
LOL!

But as long as they are running around eating and drinking they will fit right in with the older quails and even chicken chicks. Done it many times
smile.png

I have two 4 day old quail chicks in the brooder now & put 2 of the new born chicken chicks in with them. The new chicks are not on there feet yet but the quail won't go near them. If I would have read Monarcs' post earlier I would not have put them in there but since they are already I think I experiment.

Quote:
If they aren't going near them then you're fine as long as they don't decide newborn baby toes don't look delish first
gig.gif
you're watchin them so they'll be fine underyour watchful eye
wink.png

Quote:
If they aren't going near them then you're fine as long as they don't decide newborn baby toes don't look delish first
gig.gif
you're watchin them so they'll be fine underyour watchful eye
wink.png

The new born flops towards them & they take off for the other corner.

Back
Top Bottom