Can this be a true statement?

Sep 13, 2019
Pennsylvania
I had three eggs, still possibly going to hatch. Four babies hatched from day 21 to 22. Today is day 24. Two of the eggs are dark Maran eggs, and one blue egg. I candled the them and saw no movement, but could see a dark area. I heard no sound. I was able to see the air sac on the lighter brown egg and drew the outline on it. Then I thought I may have noticed an odor. When my husband came home, I asked him to check and see if he thought the egg smelled bad. About 10 minutes later I asked him if he had checked and he said he buried it outside and that it had NO smell. WTF?? The fact that he is clearly losing his mind is not what is in question. I was beyond furious and asked him to dig it back up. He dug it up and claims it was smashed and there was no baby in it and absolutely no odor whatsoever. I find it hard to believe that an egg that was never even fertile from day one would have no odor after sitting under the mama for 24 days straight! Is he lying about everything? No sugar coating please.

I had three eggs, still possibly going to hatch. Four babies hatched from day 21 to 22. Today is day 24. Two of the eggs are dark Maran eggs, and one blue egg. I candled the them and saw no movement, but could see a dark area. I heard no sound. I was able to see the air sac on the lighter brown egg and drew the outline on it. Then I thought I may have noticed an odor. When my husband came home, I asked him to check and see if he thought the egg smelled bad. About 10 minutes later I asked him if he had checked and he said he buried it outside and that it had NO smell. WTF?? The fact that he is clearly losing his mind is not what is in question. I was beyond furious and asked him to dig it back up. He dug it up and claims it was smashed and there was no baby in it and absolutely no odor whatsoever. I find it hard to believe that an egg that was never even fertile from day one would have no odor after sitting under the mama for 24 days straight! Is he lying about everything? No sugar coating please.
Eh.. idk.
I've pulld eggs from under broody ducks that probably sat that long that didn't smell. 🤷🏻

No. I have had plenty eggs not smell when I checked them after day 22+++. Mater of fact, for them to smell seems to be more rare. My broody will toss out her stinky eggs way b4 I can smell them. In an incubator they can stink up the whole thing but I have found that to be the outlier. I have only found a few stinky eggs ever but plenty non stinky.

No. I have had plenty eggs not smell when I checked them after day 22+++. Mater of fact, for them to smell seems to be more rare. My broody will toss out her stinky eggs way b4 I can smell them. In an incubator they can stink up the whole thing but I have found that to be the outlier. I have only found a few stinky eggs ever but plenty non stinky.
Even after cracking them open?

As long as the eggs are not fertilized or maybe carry blood lumps or similar, there will be no rotting/decomposing and no smell.

Fertilized eggs that die off during incubation, start to smell as they rot and should immediately be disposed off, as they can even explode soiling all other eggs with nasty bacteria that often kills the remaining healthy chicks in their eggs.

I had three eggs, still possibly going to hatch. Four babies hatched from day 21 to 22. Today is day 24.

hen I thought I may have noticed an odor.
The chicks that hatched on days 21 and 22 left their gunk in the incubator, which will start to smell the next day.
So, I would definitely expect an odour coming from the incubator on day 24, unless you cleaned it l up before setting the remaining eggs anew.

As long as the eggs are not fertilized or maybe carry blood lumps or similar, there will be no rotting/decomposing and no smell.

Fertilized eggs that die off during incubation, start to smell as they rot and should immediately be disposed off, as they can even explode soiling all other eggs with nasty bacteria that often kills the remaining healthy chicks in their eggs.
Great information that I wish I had a few weeks earlier. Better late than never though. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom