Can this marriage be saved?

In a few days our nearly 6 week old chicks will be moving out of the house and into a coop/run arrangement with a large area of green forage.
My husband and I had decided not to provide feed or water in the coop for many reasons. Now, having hand raised these precious babies, I’ve decided there should be water available in the coop. My husband does not agree. Strongly.

What if the pop door doesn’t pop? What if we don’t get down to the coop early to let them out? How long can a chicken go without water?

Our coop is not air conditioned. We use nipple waterers so dripping is minimal. For bedding we’re starting with pine shavings but may switch to sand sometime in the future.

I think he’s just being stubborn because it wasn’t his idea. I, on the other hand, will listen to reason if someone out there can convince me I shouldn’t have these concerns. I know there’s a slight chance of differing opinions and that’s good for the sake of my argument. 😁
Just substitute the words children for chickens and think about what you would do if your children wanted water during the night....tell them to wait until morning? I have a shed with a large enclosure with a doggie door. I stapled the plastic flap so they can go in and out. One day it had fell down and they could not get to their water and I felt so bad for them. It was in the winter so they were fine. They also have ac in the shed for the Arizona summers and for water they have one of those turtle sandboxes that they can stand in. For chicks I was really bad. I kept them in my sauna tub for way too long then put them in a large metal outdoor kennel with small opening wire at the bottom so they could not get out and the frogs would not eat them. I get so many frogs its unbelievable but I guess they like it here.

Just substitute the words children for chickens and think about what you would do if your children wanted water during the night....tell them to wait until morning? I have a shed with a large enclosure with a doggie door. I stapled the plastic flap so they can go in and out. One day it had fell down and they could not get to their water and I felt so bad for them. It was in the winter so they were fine. They also have ac in the shed for the Arizona summers and for water they have one of those turtle sandboxes that they can stand in. For chicks I was really bad. I kept them in my sauna tub for way too long then put them in a large metal outdoor kennel with small opening wire at the bottom so they could not get out and the frogs would not eat them. I get so many frogs its unbelievable but I guess they like it here.
Children may get up during the night for a drink of water, That's because we have a bit of night vision but also rooms in houses have light switches. Chickens don't do that cause they can't see in the dark and couldn't find the water or food. That is unless you have a night light in the coop - which you shouldn't.

Without a constant supply of water they can easily die and dehydrate. Chickens keep an average temperature of 105. Also birds will not lay regular without lots of clean water. Both my chicken house have lean toos for shade and protection from weather and this is where food and water stay, not inside. There door is never closed because i have secure pens/ runs. Mine are considered free range because their pens are over 1000 sg ft and i let my 2 year olds out often to forage the yards. They must have quality food and calcium for better eggs.
I have large pens, apron 50' x 25'. But am having trouble keeping the squirrels out. I have 2" heavy nylon bird netting covering it. What did you use to cover your really large pen?Linda

In a few days our nearly 6 week old chicks will be moving out of the house and into a coop/run arrangement with a large area of green forage.
My husband and I had decided not to provide feed or water in the coop for many reasons. Now, having hand raised these precious babies, I’ve decided there should be water available in the coop. My husband does not agree. Strongly.

What if the pop door doesn’t pop? What if we don’t get down to the coop early to let them out? How long can a chicken go without water?

Our coop is not air conditioned. We use nipple waterers so dripping is minimal. For bedding we’re starting with pine shavings but may switch to sand sometime in the future.

I think he’s just being stubborn because it wasn’t his idea. I, on the other hand, will listen to reason if someone out there can convince me I shouldn’t have these concerns. I know there’s a slight chance of differing opinions and that’s good for the sake of my argument. 😁
I too am a new chicken owner. My girls are 16 and 17 weeks old. 6 are already laying. I spoil th hem my husband thinks. Lots of herbs and flowers. Saves on the feed costs. Anyway, I have good and water inside our coop, and outside in the larger run area. I read there should be water where there is food. I find they do drink/eat some during the evening or mornings. They come into the

Well...if your husband can also not drink water during the same period that he does not supply water to the hens then he will have proven his point. 😁 Living creatures need air, water and food. I supply access to water 24/7. I feed them early am or late afternoon..in the run...not inside the house. If your chickens pant with their beak open? they need water.

My chickens are still young (9 weeks). They have a covered run, and anytime access to the coop. I feed them in the run, but there are 2~ 5 gal. nipple waterers. One in the run and one in the coop. They don't stay in the run all day, they travel in between. If I surprise them and go in the coop unannounced, they're sleeping all over the place. I think they should have water anywhere. What difference does it make to have it available? I don't get the issue.

We’ve read a lot of differing opinions on this. I believe there is something of a consensus among those who ban water and feed from the coop that having those things outside the coop encourages the birds not to hang out in there during the day when they should be outside. Reduces poop in the coop. That, and as a previous post mentioned, there can be an issue with rodents if the coop isn’t tight. I get that, and am generally fine with leaving food outside the coop but I do feel water should be available at all times. I’m not suggesting the coop waterer be the only source of water, just that it ought to be available.

Thanks, I appreciate your taking the time to support my cause!
Water should always be available but one thing about food- people who leave it outside- do you find it attracted predators? Or are we talking about an enclosed run? Anytime I have had food outdoors overnight it’s gone in the am. All of it no matter how much is there. In Wisconsin, food outside overnight is only attracting the bad guys and borrowing trouble. Alerting them to where an easy chicken dinner is. I know this is an older post but it’s my two cents. And something to think about.
But for what it’s worth, as it relates to the OP- I’m on team wifey for sure!

Back
Top Bottom