Can turkeys get vent gleet?

Cleopatra2000

In the Brooder
Nov 22, 2021
I really hope someone can help me with this one...I have a black spanish turkey, hen, approximately 6 months old and she has white pasty poo stuck to her bum and she is "leaking" a white watery substance. I cleaned her bum and then the next day it was back. Her vent looked a little swollen when I was cleaning her bum, but then when I was done cleaning it had calmed down.

While I was cleaning her bum she was behaving as if it was itchy, as I was cleaning it, she was "nibbling", like phatom itching my husband. Some of the white pasty poo was hard and stuck in her bum and I tried to gently get out what I could, but it was all back the next day.

She is eating and drinking normally, she also has regular poo's and she is getting around with all the other birds, but she does seem tired. She falls asleep while standing, like she's taking mini-naps throughout the day.

I have tried to research what this could be and some folks have said that it sounds like vent gleet, but not sure if turkeys can get it. I have read other threads that have described some of the same symptoms with a turkey, but with blood as well, and they said that it was a stuck egg. There is no blood on this girl.

She does seem uncomfortable and I want to help her asap, I don't want her suffering. Please help.

I don't know much about Turkeys, but would say yes, they can have vent gleet. It's a yeast/fungal infection of the cloaca. I would treat just as you would a chicken.
Clean the affected area, apply a topical yeast cream (Miconazole, Clotrimazole, etc.).

Vent Gleet can stem from excess yeast in the system, so check that her crop is emptying and not sour or yeasty which could contribute to this. If it is not emptying, then I would begin treating for that too.

Is she being mated? Is she is, then check the male too since mating is performed by a cloacal kiss (touching of cloacas/vents) so it wouldn't be uncommon for the male to have some issues too.

Here's a good right up on treatment.
https://www.tillysnest.com/2012/12/vent-gleet-prevention-and-treatment-html/

Hope this helps.

I don't know much about Turkeys, but would say yes, they can have vent gleet. It's a yeast/fungal infection of the cloaca. I would treat just as you would a chicken.
Clean the affected area, apply a topical yeast cream (Miconazole, Clotrimazole, etc.).

Vent Gleet can stem from excess yeast in the system, so check that her crop is emptying and not sour or yeasty which could contribute to this. If it is not emptying, then I would begin treating for that too.

Is she being mated? Is she is, then check the male too since mating is performed by a cloacal kiss (touching of cloacas/vents) so it wouldn't be uncommon for the male to have some issues too.

Here's a good right up on treatment.
https://www.tillysnest.com/2012/12/vent-gleet-prevention-and-treatment-html/

Hope this helps.
Thank you. I do not believe she is mated yet, all the turkeys are about 6 months old and the one tom I have hasn't done anything more than "dance" around; I don't think he has figured it out yet, lol; but I will check him out anyways. I will check her crop, but she is eating, drinking, and pooing normally.

About a month ago I started a pro-biotic for all the birds, in their drinking water (hydro-hen); they also have regular water available; but could this be caused by introducing a pro-biotic? Or maybe just that pro-biotic? All the other birds seem fine but I stopped the pro-biotic just in case that is the culprit. I wouldn't think it would be, any thoughts on that? TIA

I'm not a fan of adding anything to water for daily consumption. For me, electrolytes and/or extra vitamins are to be used on a case by case basis providing supportive care for a short period of time to a sick or distressed bird. You are providing fresh water too, so they have a choice.
I doubt that the Hydro-Hen would have caused vent gleet.

I'm not a fan of adding anything to water for daily consumption. For me, electrolytes and/or extra vitamins are to be used on a case by case basis providing supportive care for a short period of time to a sick or distressed bird. You are providing fresh water too, so they have a choice.
I doubt that the Hydro-Hen would have caused vent gleet.
Thanks. I had just added the hydro hen because the temperatures here had plummeted in a short amount of time and I was worried about them being too stressed with the quick drastic change. We were having temps in the 70's and then almost overnight it went down to 32. I know I was having a hard time with it, lol, so I was worried about all them.

Back
Top Bottom