Can Turkeys Travel

Girl4Chickens

Chirping
May 9, 2021
I have a Turkey and she is so kind and loves everyone. I want to go show her to some people and I was wondering if I just put her in a dog create and took her on a 30 minute drive. Is that safe?

Just keep an eye on her. I have taken my turkey on a trip around an hour and 30. They can get stressed. Just be aware that you may be stressing them out, and also that being gone even for a short period can lose them their status in the flock pecking order. My girl was the 2nd highest on the ladder, and when I brought her back from the 2 hour roundtrip she got demoted to lowest.

I think one car ride every once in awhile isn't a big deal, but like I said just make sure you keep an eye that they aren't too stressed. Cover the cage, I think their depth perception gets wonked out in vehicles because they always duck or flinch when shadows from bridges or cars go by.

I have a Turkey and she is so kind and loves everyone. I want to go show her to some people and I was wondering if I just put her in a dog crate and took her on a 30 minute drive. Is that safe?
You can do that but anytime that you take her where there are other fowl, you run the risk of coming in contact with diseases that she may or may not have been exposed to.

Just keep an eye on her. I have taken my turkey on a trip around an hour and 30. They can get stressed. Just be aware that you may be stressing them out, and also that being gone even for a short period can lose them their status in the flock pecking order. My girl was the 2nd highest on the ladder, and when I brought her back from the 2 hour roundtrip she got demoted to lowest.

I think one car ride every once in awhile isn't a big deal, but like I said just make sure you keep an eye that they aren't too stressed. Cover the cage, I think their depth perception gets wonked out in vehicles because they always duck or flinch when shadows from bridges or cars go by.
Thank you this is probably the only trip she might go on. We just wanted to make sure she is ok to do it. Also she is HUGE and the only turkey so most chickens don’t mess with her.

Thank you this is probably the only trip she might go on. We just wanted to make sure she is ok to do it. Also she is HUGE and the only turkey so most chickens don’t mess with her.
Be aware that you visit a place where blackhead is a problem, that just being around the chickens can end up being fatal for her. Chickens can be carriers of blackhead which can be deadly for turkeys.

Be sure that she does not get overheated.

You can do that but anytime that you take her where there are other fowl, you run the risk of coming in contact with diseases that she may or may not have been exposed to.
There will be no other fowl she is just coming to see a few of my friends not sure if anything else could harm her through.

Be aware that you visit a place where blackhead is a problem, that just being around the chickens can end up being fatal for her. Chickens can be carriers of blackhead which can be deadly for turkeys.

Be sure that she does not get overheated.
There will be no chickens she is just visiting my friends they were begging me to bring her and she is just an amazing pet.:)

I have a Turkey and she is so kind and loves everyone. I want to go show her to some people and I was wondering if I just put her in a dog create and took her on a 30 minute drive. Is that safe?
People take there turkeys to fair competitions all the time. 😉 and are gone for long periods of time.

Back
Top Bottom