Can us people buy uk eggs & just have them shipped?

Quote:
No there is not a ban, but there are very strict rules, and it is quite expensive. THere is another current thread that mentions specifics--I think it is the thread with "fad" in the title.

Quote:
No there is not a ban, but there are very strict rules, and it is quite expensive. THere is another current thread that mentions specifics--I think it is the thread with "fad" in the title.

Thank you

I know there was a discussion on the Quail thread regarding Silver Coturnix in Canada. Everyone went gaga trying to figure out how to smuggle some eggs over the border.
They'll get here soon enough, if there's a will, there's a way. But, I know that it is pretty strict in the written guidlines about what can be brough in our out of our country as it refers to agriculture/ Last time I checks, eggs were a farm harvest product.. I'm sure a lot of them slip under the wire, but I don't think they will be kind to you if caught. best cae scenario.. They tke the eggs and destroy them. Worst case.. Fine/ Jail time and you're made an example of...

I also would like to get some information about this. Not shipping eggs in to the USA but shipping them out.
I have been corresponding with some breeders in Spain. They have requested hatching eggs. I can find little to no information on this. I am wondering if the USDA might be able to enlighten me on this subject.
I need to find out if eggs can be shipped there and how long it would take.
I would not think an egg would go in to quarantine.
So far, about the only information I have found, is that some countries allow home quarantine when birds are shipped from another country as opposed to being held in customs.
If anyone has a link to information on shipping eggs out of the US, please share it.

Thanks

I worked in the zoo world as a Registrar (animal records, permits, etc) for many years. Dealing with permits (whether state, federal, or international) was the most challenging, hair pulling event at times! You cannot legally import or export eggs or live birds without permits. Just as a heads up- any "part" of an animal (live or deceased) falls under permit regulations. Eggs, feathers, bones, blood, whole animal, etc.

"USDA restricts the entry of live farm animals, certain zoo animals, some game animals and birds (including carcasses, meat, and trophy skins), poultry and other birds (and hatching eggs), and the entry and interstate shipment of potential carriers of animal diseases. Some animals are prohibited; others must be held in USDA Animal Import Centers or quarantine stations for 30 days after entry. Quarantine arrangements must be made prior to the importation. Animals and birds must be inspected by veterinarians of the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS). "

Write in advance to
Veterinary Services, APHIS, USDA,
4700 River Road, Riverdale,
Maryland 20737, 301/734 8170.
taken from US Fish and Wildlife website: http://library.fws.gov/Pubs9/wildlife_laws.pdf

also
most likely find info at usda's website- go the the APHIS section, which is USDA's department dealing with animals.

If you decide to import or export- just a word of advice. Call and talk to people in the offices. Ask a zillion what-if questions. These regulations can get really, confusing when you are trying to figure it out! I delt with exotic animals, so am not up to date on the chicken/eggs regulations. But I have found withe exotics if you talk to 5 people you get 6 answers usually!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom