1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can we add guineas to chicken flock?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CCCChickenman, Dec 7, 2009.

1. CCCChickenman

CCCChickenman Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2009
    Canon City, CO
    cancel

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  2. NateinFL

NateinFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    now you just posted the same thread twice... [​IMG]

3. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    I don't know. When I want to do something, I just do it, but I sit myself down to supervise the invite. I did introduce 2 very young keets to my flock, years ago and most of them would bully them, but I had one single barred rock hen that adopted them. I had this idea that seeings that she was the only one that color and the keets were the closest thing to her colorings, that she took them in. She began standing up to any chicken that threatned the keets. I don't know about full growns. I guess they will just have to go in there and figure it out in the pecking order.
    I also plan on getting guineas, but not until this spring. But I don't want to raise them with the chickens. I want to do it by the book, so I can use them in the garden, to cut my work a bit.

4. New adventure

New adventure Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Pueblo, Colorado
    I got 4 guinea keets when my chicks were 3 months old and just starting to visit the garden by themselves. When the keets were big enough to go outside, I put their dog crate in the garden near the chicks where they could see each other. After a few days, they were let out into an enclosed area of their own. Later I put the dog crate in the coop at night so the keets could sleep near the chicks but be safe. By the time the keets were 2 months old, they had been accepted by the chickens as part of the flock and I've never had a problem with anyone. They roost together, share their treats and get along great; even the past few days when they've had to stay inside all day due to the cold.

5. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    yes are guineas and chickens are like peas and carrots, but i think it depends on what breed of chicken you have

[​IMG]

are barred rocks are pretty easy to get along with

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by