1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can we candle everyday?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lambingfamily, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Lambingfamily

Lambingfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    Okay, I admit it, I am addicted to candling and so are my kids. It is so cool to see the movement in the eggs. Does this hurt the success rate?[​IMG]
    Please view our BYC page to follow our progress. We are now on day 14. I am a little worried about our temp. flux but we are trying to monitar it as best we can. All we need is 2[​IMG]!!! One for each of my kids [​IMG]

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

I would not candle every day...only every 7. If your opening the incubator every day it cools it off a lot every time you open it. Plus the needed humidity is escaping as well. Like so many others say....SIT ON THOSE HANDS! [​IMG]

3. sewincircle

sewincircle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central New York
    It did not hurt my hatch in anyway. The only time you should NOT move the eggs is the last three days. You should not even open the incubator at all. I candled with my kids every other day to watch the progress. It was very educational!!!

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I don't and wouldn't. I candle between day 7 and 10 sometime and then again when I move them to the hatcher.

The more you open the bator the more temp and humidity issues you're going to have. I know mama hen gets up and off the nest everyday, but she knows what she's doing...... we don't always.

Plus the more times you handle them the more likely you are to drop one of them!!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  5. estpr13

estpr13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Lexington, Ky
    I use to candle and weigh my eggs every third day to keep track of them and had a hatch rate of about 70%. When I quit and didn't open the bator; I got 95 to 100% hatch rates. But most of the eggs I had came from the mail which could have had something to do with the results as well.

6. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    Hi, I have to hand turn my eggs, so on my first hatch I candled almost every day with my boys. They loved to see it also. Either way I have to open the bator. I open the lid and shut it while I check the egg. I had all but one hatch that time.The mother hen gets off the eggs to eat and drink. I think you will be okay. [​IMG]

7. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:It depends on what type of incubator you have.

Opening and candling is not harmful to the eggs, just handle them carefully.

However, cheaper incubators, esp. still-air ones can take a long time to recover the correct humidity level. Temp can be an issue, but rarely a major one.

So ... a decent fan-assisted incubator, with a good heater ... you will have few issues ..... a Hova or LG still-air, and you might have a problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by