1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can we move to the new coop?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Connorrm, May 25, 2011.

1. Connorrm

Connorrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    Hey everyone!

I'm in Upstate NY - and this week it's going to hit high 80s during the day till AT LEAST Tuesday - lows at night in the mid - upper 60s. Can I move my 12 chickies to their coop now?

These are my first batch so they'd have free run of the coop - they were hatched 4/23/11 making them just over four weeks old and mostly feathered. The coop is totally secure and I wouldn't give them access to the run for at least another month. It's just so much bigger (17 x 8 ) compared to their brooder (5 x 3). It's also got the roosts, a bigger feeder and waterer, and their "sandbox".

What do you all think?

2. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    Eleven of mine were born the same day as yours! We have comparable night-time temps and mine just went outside. They're doing just fine and seem happy to meet the girls that are a couple of weeks older.

3. Connorrm

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    That is good news! They're getting pretty stinky in doors - LOL! They started having "real poops" now too. I've been fully changing shavings every other day for them. They're in the drive out basement/workshop so I can't smell them in the living quarters. But the second you go down there you know you're not alone!

I guess I'll move the girls today then [​IMG] Worst case scenario - I'll give them some heat [​IMG]

4. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

You should be just fine but rather than running to the coop every 15 minutes all night long or sleeping with your chicks, how about just giving them a heatlamp to go to if they want to. Watch their behavior and you'll probably see them sleep where ever they want and ignore the lamp.

5. Connorrm

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    hehehe it will be strange not being able to go downstairs and see them 20x a day. I'm actually going to hold off for a few more days. I just shut myself inside the coop and I didn't like how dark it was.

Going to put in two more windows first [​IMG]

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:That's a good idea! I'd put them in the coop and give them access to the run now, at least during the warm part of the day. Or run an extension cord if needed and put a little heat in there for them at night, and just move them. I raise mine in the coop, though.

7. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    Quote:Awesome. They are sure to be more comfortable with the extra light that will give them. Prey animals can get nervous in dark places.

8. Connorrm

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    Yeah I'm just not too sure about the run yet. I figured I'd keep them in the coop for a week so they know where "home" is first. That way if it rains and I don't notice or if I get side-tracked I don't have to worry about them turning into soaking wet peepers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by