Can we talk about humidity in coops? For us first year keepers

Based on my understanding of the posts in response to yours, as long as the humidity inside the coop is similar to outside you should be fine? Apart from that, I think more ventilation would probably fix if you had an imbalance, though I have yet to experiment with that myself!

We had a humidity issue when we started raising chickens 7 years ago. Our coop is insulated with windows on two sides but no real vents as hubby didn't want to cut into the roof. In WI, our average humidity is 71%. Back then we found we had to make some drastic changes.
  • We went to a DYI 5-gallon nipple bucket so no open water in the coop.
  • We changed to 3" horse bedding pellets on the floor which absorbs the poop and odors.
  • Installed a digital exhaust fan in one of the windows. The fan has an app that tells us temp and humidity, but we have another blue tooth one too. We put a vent in the door between the coop and shed.
  • Have a heater that on nearly its lowest setting in winter keeps the coop from freezing (35-40F) so the water/eggs don't freeze. OMG when I went to get the link for this, it's cheaper now than it was 7 years ago. I'm getting us another one!
Right now it's 32F, 80% humidity, and coop is 67%. (It helps a little that the chickens aren't in there right now.)

I have Govee thermometer/hygrometer units in yard and run. I am happy with the way they work (and have for years in other areas also).

I have multiple fans and an a/c that are on wifi outlets. I use Kasa outdoor wifi outlets. Something else I have used for years in other areas with no problems.

I have a very small exhaust fan at the apex of the ceiling of the coop, and it stays on 24/7.

With our heat and humidity, you can't have too many fans. I keep the one for the run on even in winter, with the wind flow above the girls so they aren't right in the breeze. I find It helps circulate air so that the little bit of rain that does get into the run and on the sand, dries faster.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240109_092401_Govee Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20240109_092401_Govee Home.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20240109_092636_Kasa.jpg
    Screenshot_20240109_092636_Kasa.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I have Govee thermometer/hygrometerunits in yard and run. I am happy with the way they work (and have for years in other areas also).

I have multiple fans and an a/c that are on wifi outlets. I use Kasa outdoor wifi outlets. Something else I have used for years in other areas with no problems.

I have a very small exhaust fan at the apex of the ceiling of the coop, and it stays on 24/7.

With our heat and humidity, you can't have too many fans. I keep the one for the run on even in winter, with the wind flow above the girls so they aren't right in the breeze. I find It helps circulate air so that the little bit of rain that does get into the run and on the sand, dries faster.
I can also attest to how great those Govee's are as I have 3 too, but these are for the incubators and brooder.

I have a filter material that I staple over the vents for the cold months. It's a white spun polyester, about 1/16" thick. Since it's a filter material, air flows through, but it cuts the drafty wind way down.

We have prevailing west winds too. The coop is on top of a hill, though the trees at the edge of the hill help buffer.

Are you using deep litter method? Is that why you are concerned about humidity?

Otherwise, my personal opinion is that humidity meters are overkill for the home flock owner. (Commercial farms would need them).

Adequate ventilation (even in cold climates), no water or food in the actual coop, and proper litter maintainance will take care of your humidity troubles. If you are using deep litter, make sure to add enough dry brown material to absorb excess liquid. If you are not using deep litter, make sure to clean your coop often to prevent a build up of the manure, which will increase humidity.

I have a filter material that I staple over the vents for the cold months. It's a white spun polyester, about 1/16" thick. Since it's a filter material, air flows through, but it cuts the drafty wind way down.

We have prevailing west winds too. The coop is on top of a hill, though the trees at the edge of the hill help buffer.
Where do you buy it? Sounds like something we could try. Atleast for that west side as I just stuck the cut outs back into the hole which still left a few gaps toward the top.

Are you using deep litter method? Is that why you are concerned about humidity?

Otherwise, my personal opinion is that humidity meters are overkill for the home flock owner. (Commercial farms would need them).

Adequate ventilation (even in cold climates), no water or food in the actual coop, and proper litter maintainance will take care of your humidity troubles. If you are using deep litter, make sure to add enough dry brown material to absorb excess liquid. If you are not using deep litter, make sure to clean your coop often to prevent a build up of the manure, which will increase humidity.
I was just wondering about the humidity side. When starting chicken keeping I only heard about ventilation which leads to high humidity which we may have done overkill lol. I couldn't find much on placements for the meters, reliable meters for coops or if theres a fix for low humidity so thought this might help for others who also didn't realize humidity was another part to be monitored sometimes. We are unintentionally doing the deep litter method but I think I've said before I havne't noticed any moisture build up on the walls of our metal coop so far.

Back
Top Bottom