Can we talk about rooster raising?

Pics

bhawk-23

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Apr 12, 2020
East Central Illinois
Hello, we have a 12 week cockerel. So far he is super calm. I decided to keep him because he was so calm compared to the other cockerels hatched with him. Today, I picked him up and held him. I then put him down in front of me and held him until he calmly laid down and relaxed, which took about 3 minutes to get him to do this. We had a great petting session and a good talk. Lasted about 5 minutes and he got up and carried on. This evening when we were out checking everything for bedtime I picked up a hen. She is the calmest one who likes to sit in our lap, especially in this cold. He was definitely interested in this. When she got up I decided to get him. He was calm and settled in quite quickly enjoying the pets and warmth. I have a couple hens who are opportunistic and will sometimes try to get a peck in on the one in my lap so I just gently used my arm to push them back. I did not want to upset the rooster. It didn't and she eventually gave up. Overall, I feel like it was a good day with him.
After so much research and deciphering all the information out there on how to raise a gentle and calm rooster I've decided to try this approach. Teaching him I am not a threat but actually a source to comfort. When he starts to woo his girls I'll give him the treats to offer to the girls. I'll work with the hens who are super calm and show him they like our company.
My goal is to have a friendly rooster. Unfortunately, he won't be staying if he is not. Of the 7 cockerels we hatched only 2 of the other 6 will even inch close enough to eat from my hand but much prefer for me to drop it. The other 4 I have not even gotten close to. This is why I chose him, he has always been calm and easy going.
Also, the 10 month old pullets are keeping him and his two hatch mate pullets in their place.
Does this sound like a solid plan or a disaster waiting to happen? There is no consensus on how to raise a nice rooster and his adult personality is a crap shoot, I get that. But has anyone here attempted raising a rooster like I am planning to? Good and/or bad experiences are certainly welcome ☺️ Thank you!

I’ve never raised a rooster like this. It sounds like a reasonable approach. My flock is all free ranged so cuddling isn’t a huge thing for them. My only concern is that he might get too comfortable with you and misbehave. I’m certainly curious to how this turns out as the first rooster I owned definitely had the most love and affection offered and he turned out to be a homicidal maniac. Keep us posted.

I have had two roosters so far, both were calm since they were little. My flock also free ranges and I only handle everyone at night for inspections, including the rooster. I do have everyone trained to come when called either for “chick chick” or their own names.
Everyone has a different experience with roosters. I hope he continues to impress you!

I then put him down in front of me and held him until he calmly laid down and relaxed, which took about 3 minutes to get him to do this.

Based on this level of patience, I think you will be successful! I've tried a number of different methods, and the most successful has been simply holding the cockerel, gently but firmly, until they relax and then put them down. Repeat often. I don't necessarily pet or cuddle them, just get them used to me handling them and deciding when to hold them & when to let them go (never when they're squirming to get out of my hands).

My only concern is that he might get too comfortable with you and misbehave. I’m certainly curious to how this turns out as the first rooster I owned definitely had the most love and affection offered and he turned out to be a homicidal maniac. Keep us posted.
Exactly my worry also.
Everyone has a different experience with roosters. I hope he continues to impress you!
Thanks! Me too!! Lol
Based on this level of patience, I think you will be successful! I've tried a number of different methods, and the most successful has been simply holding the cockerel, gently but firmly, until they relax and then put them down. Repeat often. I don't necessarily pet or cuddle them, just get them used to me handling them and deciding when to hold them & when to let them go (never when they're squirming to get out of my hands).
Thank you! I am really happy to hear someone has actually tried this and not just on Google and YouTube. I do not really trust those resources but they at least offer you choices? Lol
Unfortunately, this guy is on a short leash. I am much more tolerable of natural instincts than hubs is so I have to do all I can to foster a calm non aggressive rooster for our flock. I just want to do what's best for him while also allowing him to stay.
I'd love more thoughts and experiences from other rooster keepers!

None of my chickens are "lap chickens" (though I wish they were!), and my cockerel is good with the pullets. I have had to "explain" to him in chicken-speak that I am the boss a few times. He has come at my feet, head down, hackles raised several times. He darts in, jumps back, too fast for me to catch.

Not any more. I have caught him and held him down three times now in the last week. I don't do the carry-around-till-calm ploy, as he is squirmy and I'm afraid I'll drop him. I hold him down, one hand over his back, thumb and fingers under his wings, and one hand over his neck. I press his head down to ground level, and I have to hold firmly, because, as I said, he is squirmy. When he holds still, I do a slow count to about 30. Then I let him up and when he walks away, I leave.

I would love for him to be my buddy, but I don't think that is going to happen. It's ok by me if he ignores me and looks out for the girls instead. That's what he's there for.

They are all going on 10 months old. We'll see how he does in the spring. I want to keep him, but he has to behave.

My rooster is a EE about 7 months old. I thought he was going to be a wimp. He was late doing everything a rooster does. He’s only been crowing about a month. He does a bang up job of it now. He does his hen business, not too rough but he does his duty. He finds them food and calls them over. Overall, he’s turned out to be a fine rooster. He doesn’t want to be a pet. He runs away if we approach him and he’s never tried to come at one of us to attack. If he produces some chicks this spring I’ll say he’s pretty near the perfect rooster for our little farm.

Rusty
2CE13B87-0FF6-42CA-980A-142A3623983C.png

Back
Top Bottom