Can we talk about rooster raising?

Pics
I am very interactive with all of my chooks from day 1. I have hatched about 200 chicks to date, many or 1/2 of them roos :hit . I handle the ones who don't sell as chicks so they are good boys and have a good chance at being homed to very good homes. I currently have 6, well, 4 cockerels and 2 roos and another dozen at the pasture. 4 will be living with me for breeding and guarding.
When my cockerels get snotty- usually between 4-5 mo -because of hormone overload and/or frustration I scoop them up and take them for a walk and talk. I don't do the dominate thing, we go for a stroll and change of scenery and find a snack, like a lizard or bug, I take the time and make a thing of it, as if they were my kid going through changes. I think that this has helped immensely though it starts with me getting bitten, the next time it is better and so on. In a few weeks I have a sweet docile roo who is happy to see me and wants to go look for bugs. I have not had a bad roo yet (touch wood) but it has been work. If I had gotten mad and treated them different, I'm sure I would have had different results.
My main guy who recently took over my main flock will run to the ruckus and I have seen him chest out bump my dog to get him to move away or walk super close to the cats when the girls are around to let them know he is there first. Spider is an absolute love @ 10 mo. and that is why he is running the show, nice and calm and efficient. I would expect he will be the first to go if he can help it.

This is my little Spider @ 7mo in observation after he got beat up protecting his flock against an evil intruder... or ah er, a feral fighting cock who was much older .
20201208_122643.jpg

20201209_112723~2.jpg

Bit of a bad a** ;)

Old post but I have an update just in case anyone out there wonders how Oscar is doing as a 10 month old cockerel. He lives on my friend's farm still and has his own flock. He is 1 of 2 roosters in a total of 26(?) chickens. He is definitely the bigger of the two but apparently allows the older rooster to stay top cock and never puts up any fight. They live peacefully together as two flocks. He is respectful of my friends space but will check on her when she is with "his" girls.
She absolutely loves Oscar and tells me all the time just how wonderful he has been. I cannot be any happier to hear her updates.

Unfortunately though, he does not seem to remember me, or at least won't approach me anymore. He certainly is beautiful, wish I had a pic for you all. Next visit I'll be sure to get one.

So apparently, I made a good decision in keeping him. My friend has already asked me to pick another rooster from our latest hatches hoping I can do it twice.

And I'm super pleased to say I actually do have another one similar to Oscar's temperament. Maybe this guy will end up lucky and avoid freezer camp too! Lol

Back
Top Bottom