can week old EE chicks be feather sexed?

Yay! Mine went through a flighty stage too- they were super sweet chicks until around 8 weeks when 3/4 of them suddenly just wanted nothing to do with me. They settled down again after they started laying (which was 22-28 weeks going into fall while days were getting shorter). Now they follow me around at the heels like ducks while I'm trying to garden. I'm sure it's for the bugs but they seem to enjoy the attention too... or the occasional chance to jump on my back and preen my hair while I'm weeding :D

Last edited:
So after almost 4 months of bouncing back and forth between pullet or rooster, I can no longer deny the truth...it is most definately a rooster. I'm not sure how I feel about this. We are not supposed to have roosters in the city, but we have grown attached to the little guy. Thus far he has not started crowing, and as long as he stays quiet, he stays with us. Here is a pic of him from last week.

So after almost 4 months of bouncing back and forth between pullet or rooster, I can no longer deny the truth...it is most definately a rooster. I'm not sure how I feel about this. We are not supposed to have roosters in the city, but we have grown attached to the little guy. Thus far he has not started crowing, and as long as he stays quiet, he stays with us. Here is a pic of him from last week.
WOW... that is a HUGE change! Def a roo! Thank you for the picture- I would have had a hard time visualizing! I'm surprised he isn't crowing yet. We have an accidental Brahma roo right now that is about at the same stage. No crowing- looks well past age of expected crow... but sweet as can be. I think if they are quiet and the neighbor doesn't care you can play dumb :p That's what we are hoping for. lol It's been suggested that we put him in the dark garage at bedtime and put him outside during the day (since often they are more likely to crow early AM) - but I guess that may not be a permanent solution. ha

Well, he started crowing a couple days ago. So far not excessive, and not super loud, but I guess we will have to see how that progresses! He is starting to act like a rooster...chasing the girls around and struting his stuff. Lol. It is pretty funny to watch him. He is very interested in the young girls and is putting the moves on our older easter egger, but is still scared of the other bigger hens. They send him running with just a sideways glance!

Hahaha... sometimes they are a lot like humans!
lau.gif

Well, the inevitable happened and someone complained about him. We got a notice today that we have to find a new home for him. We are sad, but I think we new it was probably coming at some point. :(

Back
Top Bottom