Can Wild Mallards Raised By Humans Get By In The Wild?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Henrik Petersson, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Jpat

Jpat Free Ranging

Apr 30, 2018
    Nova scotia
    I dont know how it got so complicated for you, i meant you did the right thing. And someone was eventualy going to say not to pickup wild animals

2. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Free Ranging

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    what are you talking about? People are ALWAYS bringing that up! Jpat was just saying he doesn't agree with that and neither do I!

casportpony and Miss Lydia like this.
  3. Tortoise

Tortoise Songster

Aug 19, 2018
    Chicago
    Nothing from the wild and raised by humans should ever be put back into the wild. That's a death sentence, animal abuse and on the same note nothing should be taken from the wild unless it's a matter of life or death or injury of the animal.

4. Henrik Petersson

Henrik Petersson Crowing

Jan 9, 2009
    Karlskrona, Sweden
    I didn't know that people always bring that up.

5. Tortoise

Tortoise Songster

Aug 19, 2018
    Chicago
    I agree, except I think all animals should be saved if possible. Adult or baby.
    I just dont think animals should be taken from the wild to have as pets, unless they do need human intervention. I have no idea what this OP situation is. Once a wild animal has been taken, hurt or not, they cant just be let go. There is a process to ensure they have every chance of surviving once released.

6. Tortoise

Tortoise Songster

Aug 19, 2018
    Chicago
    Rehab facilities dont treat them like pets. There is a process they do for each situation. Animals from the wild cant just be cared for by humans and then released. Not in the way most humans would care for the animal. It, the care and prep for release has to be done the right way. Of course there are always the few that might make it without the proper prep but the majority will never know cuz once released no one keeps track like a rehab center might.

casportpony and Miss Lydia like this.
  7. Jpat

Jpat Free Ranging

Apr 30, 2018
    Nova scotia
    @casportpony told us about her mallards she baught legit from a farm that were raised as domestic and flew away with wilds no problem

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

No way of knowing what became of them after they left home!

9. Jpat

Jpat Free Ranging

Apr 30, 2018
    Nova scotia
    just like kids, hold your breath and pray haha

Good point though your right!

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

I mean we have no idea did they grow up an get a mate have kids and live happily ever after or did they go by way of skid row? Just a little humor to start the day off :p

casportpony and DuckyDonna like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: