Can/will horses be Livestock Guardians?

I have had a mare that the goats were her babies, and she would defend them - but that basically meant letting/encouraging them to run in front of her while they all ran away.

I have a LOT of horses, and unless the horse takes a personal offense at the predator in question, that mare was the exception, not the rule.
I have a mixed breeding herd (mustang style, mares, stallion and their foals to 2yos all living together on LARGE acreage) and the sheep are smart enough to run into the herd if something spooks them, because the horses - with their own babies to defend - will happily stomp the hell out of a black bear, stray dog or coyote scout. But my daughter's standard poodle, who the horses all knew well, played/mauled a yearling sheep into needing stitches while the entire herd was less than 10 feet away eating hay and they didn't twitch a whisker

I have had a mare that the goats were her babies, and she would defend them - but that basically meant letting/encouraging them to run in front of her while they all ran away.

I have a LOT of horses, and unless the horse takes a personal offense at the predator in question, that mare was the exception, not the rule.
I have a mixed breeding herd (mustang style, mares, stallion and their foals to 2yos all living together on LARGE acreage) and the sheep are smart enough to run into the herd if something spooks them, because the horses - with their own babies to defend - will happily stomp the hell out of a black bear, stray dog or coyote scout. But my daughter's standard poodle, who the horses all knew well, played/mauled a yearling sheep into needing stitches while the entire herd was less than 10 feet away eating hay and they didn't twitch a whisker
Do you keep them all!? :eek:

My horses apparently observed a fox kill ten hens one afternoon, in their pasture. The guy working next door did the same thing...
Horses will protect their foals if possible, or might run from the predator and hope the foal can keep up. Some horses are happy to kill critters intruding in their pasture, others don't care, and I can't see any horse protecting a chicken!
Mary

Back
Top Bottom