Can wing injury cause unstableness

CooperCats

In the Brooder
Jul 2, 2020
I have a 16 week old Barred Rock pullet that had a freak accident. She caught her wing on a treat skewer hook that was hanging. I’m unsure how long she was caught on the hook but it could have been up to 7 hours as I last checked on them while home for lunch.

She was laying rather limply with the wing extended out above her head and was exhausted. She does have a small puncture in the joint, I applied Neosporin to the wound. She was not folding the wing and was having trouble walking/ balancing. I vet wrapped the wing into its proper position, and after a few hours she is still having balance issues. She did drink water and is alert, just not walking.

How long do I wait and watch for recovery? She is separated from the rest of the flock in a fenced off corner, but is still in the same area as they are as it is the only area my dogs cannot access.

Attachments

• EC1E8F72-D97A-4478-B5DF-229AA550D394.jpeg
    EC1E8F72-D97A-4478-B5DF-229AA550D394.jpeg
    570.6 KB · Views: 56
Wrapping her may also be causing some balance issues.

I'd provide her with electrolytes for a few hours, see that she's eating/drinking o.k.

Hard to know how long it will take for her to recover. Check wrappings daily to make sure they are not too tight and to see if she's able to hold her wing up better. Also check that wound really well to see that maggots are not emerging since it's warm weather.

Wrapping her may also be causing some balance issues.

I'd provide her with electrolytes for a few hours, see that she's eating/drinking o.k.

Hard to know how long it will take for her to recover. Check wrappings daily to make sure they are not too tight and to see if she's able to hold her wing up better. Also check that wound really well to see that maggots are not emerging since it's warm weather.
We took the wrapping off she uses her wing fine it’s just all scabbed if she does get maggots what should I do then? I would rather be prepared

We took the wrapping off she uses her wing fine it’s just all scabbed if she does get maggots what should I do then? I would rather be prepared
I'm glad it scabbing up.
Keep it clean and apply triple antibiotic ointment to the wounds.

If you were to find maggots, flush generously with saline, soapy water, etc. and pick out the maggots. Repeat again in a few hours to see if you find any more. Often you'll find more again the next day, repeat the process.

I'm glad it scabbing up.
Keep it clean and apply triple antibiotic ointment to the wounds.

If you were to find maggots, flush generously with saline, soapy water, etc. and pick out the maggots. Repeat again in a few hours to see if you find any more. Often you'll find more again the next day, repeat the process.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom