Can You Candle a Easter Egger or a Black Copper Maran Egg?????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Steph Martin, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Steph Martin

Steph Martin Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2011
    Nova Scotia Canada
    I said Help, help I say...I've got suspect eggs but only cause the things are green and dark brown. I really want to know if they will hatch in five days but I can't candle cause of density and darkness of shell. Does anyone have any suggestions????

2. georgia531

georgia531 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    SW PA/OH
    an old movie projecter might work.. i saw a post on here the other day someone used some high powered sport flashlight.. i will look for it.

3. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    I see a lot of folks who float test eggs. I'm not a fan of float testing myself. Even with a super powered light I'd think it would be hard to see much detail.

4. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

I have an LED flashlight I used on my EE eggs when they arrived. I could see just fine with it.. will candle them again on the 4th to check the progress.

Not sure how it would work on Maran eggs though since I haven't tried it on any of them

5. georgia531

georgia531 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    SW PA/OH
  6. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Quote:I had three eater eggers in my last hatch and I could only candle one that was a lighter green. All the others were way to hard. I just looked for an air cell when I candled and if it had one it was good lol. If I couldn't see anything I sniffed and if it didn't smell I put it back in.

7. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    You can get tactical flashlights with high lumens. The higher, the better.

8. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    I used a really bright ( >100 lumens) LED flashlight to candle my marans eggs. (The EE eggs were no problem.) In a totally dark room, except for the flashlight, hold the flashlight by surrounding the bulb-end in one hand, and holding the egg in my other hand in the same position it was in while in the incubator (air cell up). This allows me to seal the egg against my hand, making sure the only light in the room is what you see going through the egg. Otherwise, you can't see much. You should be able to clearly see the air cell, and some veining, and motion from the embryo. Take your time, move slowly and carefully, and try angling the light from the top a bit. The flashlight lets you see when you are putting eggs into and out of the incubator.

Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  9. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    You need a completely dark room and your eyes must be accustomed to the darkness. Have patience.
    You need a really high lumen flashlight and follow the previous poster's advice on how to hold it.
    I never candle my EEs and Marans until lockdown. If I need to *see*, I put in some Orpington eggs to keep me happy!
    At lockdown you can definitely see either something or nothing. The clears are definitely clear! And I find the marans are a lot easier to see than the blue eggs.

10. Spitman

Spitman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    I have a hight power LCD light cost me 75 , 150 lumens works great on all my eggs ,( but the green and blues) they just look like big dark blobes .if I had to do it again I wouldn't spend the big bucks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by