can you cross an EE roo with any breed of hen and still get a chicken.

LCwilson

Songster
10 Years
Oct 15, 2009
southeastern ohio
can you cross an EE roo with any breed of hen and still get a chicken that looks like an EE and has muffs,and a beard? just wondering. might try this later on?
thanks. cole.

Some of the offspring will- but maybe not all of them. Chicks (girls obviously) with pea combs are more likely to lay colored eggs. If you cross with a brown egg-layer you'll probably get green egg-layers.

Even in some Ameraucana breeding lines... with both parents having muffs and beards, the odd chicken will hatch clean faced... and lay blue eggs.

Quote:
both my pea comb girls lay light brown eggs:-(

Do you know what the parents were? I was told that if you cross and EE or Ameracauna with another pea-combed variety, you can "cancel out" the blue egg gene that is closely linked to the comb.

I have an beardless green-legged EE that hatched from a green egg- but have yet to see any eggs.

Quote:
Depends what the dominate trait is, if your trying to get a trait that is recessive, both parents have to possess and pass that trait on.

I have some that I hatched out from my Barred Rock Roo over my Ameraucana hens and they all have muffs and beards and lay a blue egg. Instant EE's. They are lots of fun and very inquisitive and great egg layers!
*edited because I can't spell this early in the morning*

Last edited:
BR over true Ameraucana will give you a bird who lays a green egg (some shade of green, will vary). Some will have beards and muffs like my Riley and some will hatch clean faced like my Panda and Riley's sister. Riley has yellow legs, Panda has white legs. Even some of my BBS Ameraucanas, purebreds, would be beardless on occasion. They are good layers. Till Panda was in full molt, she rarely missed a day. Still waiting for Riley to lay. Those are the only two I kept, but many have hatched from my BR roo over blue and black Ameraucanas and they all lay green eggs.

Speckledhen- I thought that I would get some greenish tinted eggs from these birds but they are blue. I was trying for some olive tinted eggs.
sad.png

I'd think your brown egglayer had to have a blue egg gene floating around somewhere for them to actually be blue and not some shade of green. From what I know of genetics (and you could fill a thimble, LOL), brown plus blue equals a green egglayer. However, genes are fickle things, so who knows? Experts may chime in anytime.

Back
Top Bottom