Can you easily see your run/chicken activity from your house/backyard?

Your plan would sound good if chickens made no noise. If the HOA does not allow chickens, and enforces the covenents, then you will be busted for sure. There may well be really quiet chickens but I don't know of them. There are lots of otherwise very nice people that don't like chickens. I think they equate them with lower property values and hillbillies. Go figure. I wish you the best. I love chickens.

I can't see any of my chickies from the house. I put some stumps under the pines and I enjoy going down to watch their antics. I also like to sit in the run. I do get to see them every time I drive into my property, which is a fun welcome home. Now I can't even see the horses because the chicken coop blocks the view.
hu.gif
Well, shouldn't have bought this place anyhow, too much wind!!

Quote:
we are not in a hoity toity neighborhood, but I know this is going to be a gamble. However, both sides of neighbors are good with it (they will both hardly see it). I'm lucky our property bumps up to the woods and creek! I know chickens make their noise, bUt I'm hoping that it will be slightly muffled in the woods from the street.

The whole run and coop will be covered with a roof, hc up the sides of the run, apron out 2 ft. Going to lay down some leftover fencing material on the floor of the run, just in case someone gets by the apron (the floor material will be covered with landscape cloth with 4-6 sand)

I already told my neighbors that if the coop smells awful (both have raised chickens as youngsters and grimaced when I brought it up due to their experience with smell but I'm hoping both poop boards and DE will prove positive for smell control)or if I keep losing the chickens to predators, I'll break it down and sell it on CL.... I'd love to have a bigger operation, but I'm treading on novice inexperience...all my neighbors are positive that they'll be eaten within a week

but I've been reading BYC, so heck, I defintely know a lot more than the average Joe, now!

Why don't you make a tractor? Then you could move it around and keep poo from building up...less smell
smile.png

Just shut the pop door at dusk and you won't get robbed...i've lived in raccoon central, but you can win the battle!

No I can't anymore. Sadly, my chickens had to move about 3 miles from here. Chickens themselves are legal, as are roosters, but required to be penned 100ft from the neighbor's house and someone with a very ugly attitude problem complained.
I visit them after work (harder now that it gets dark so soon and also since it's colder I don't want to stay as long....) and I keep a game cam watching over them. I watch for predators, both human and animals, as well as get a pretty good kick out of the roosters' antics! I keep a thread going about the pix I get! Yesterday two of the roos took a 30-minute dustbath caught on cam LOL (link to my pix thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=408866) so even if you can't watch them all day, you can still enjoy them. You'll find a way! Lots of people just bring the lawnchairs down to the run area!

Back
Top Bottom