can you eat fertile eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wyandottewings, May 6, 2009.

1. wyandottewings

wyandottewings Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2009
    i was wondering if you can eat fertile eggs, in the early stages of course. i dont have any....im just curious.[​IMG]

2. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    Yes. They are the same as non fertile eggs until the hen starts to sit on them.[​IMG]

3. Jennie5193

Jennie5193 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    South East TN
    Ha! I gave away a dozen eggs this evening and the lady said "these don't have baby chickies in them do they? 'Cause that'd be gross!"

[​IMG]

Nope, no one will be able to tell (including you!) that your eggs are fertile or not just by cracking them open into a frying pan! [​IMG]

After the hen lays the egg and it cools off it goes dormant. They look and taste the exact same. To answer my neighbor's question... "No, there are no baby chickies in the eggs I give you for the table." (Now, if I put them into my 'bator for a couple of days - you could tell!)

4. Enselle

Enselle Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2008
    Um, no flaming please, but any egg is FERTILE. Your customer is concerned about FERTILIZED eggs.[​IMG]

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have a friend who was given some eggs by someone. She broke open one of the eggs and there was an embryo inside. She won't eat fresh eggs any more except mine. [​IMG]

6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:Ditto.

7. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Some people go out of their way to pay extra for fertilized eggs. Check out trader Joes and some of the health food stores.

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
  9. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    Quote:the only possibility of a fertile egg is if you have a rooster to do the deed. i have 4 hens and get over a dozen eggs perfectly edible and delicious with no rooster. so not every egg is fertile

10. k2chickens

k2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    Yeah I was curious about the same thing cause I read a lot of story's on here of people cracking an egg with an embryo inside and stuff and that would be so shocking to find something like that! So I have a lot of ignorant friends who didn't even know chickens had eggs without a male! [​IMG] When I told them I was getting chicks for eggs they were like ew your gonna raise something and then eat their babies!!! Personally I couldn't do that just because I would feel like that was exactly what im doing like eating my possible grandbabies (yes my chicks are my babies)! lol I don't know but I would just feel safe eating non fertilized eggs and not feel any guilt about it no matter if it is okay to eat them and there is no formed chick inside!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by