Can you eat the meat of a meat bird that has roundworm...?

vonkettle

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 7, 2013
I was processing the last of my meat birds. Which in turn to say they took over 3 extra months to grow thinking that it was the extreme cold and what not. However after gutting the birds I noticed towards the end that 2 of the hens had roundworm. I noticed it when the guts were sitting in the sink and the roundworms were moving around in the sink. I didn't see any in the cavity of the bird. While I finished cleaning them. I looked online and didn't find anything about not eating the bird. I saw you can still eat the eggs. As long as they aren't treated. They were not treated previously for roundworms before butchering. I know after treatment I can not eat the eggs of my other flock. I got a liquid goat wormer that I found out about on one of the threads on this site. I printed out the measurement amounts. I am going to treat all birds orally. Than 10 days later do it again. So I read on here not to eat eggs for 24 days. So long story short can I still eat the small meat bird that had the roundworms in them.? I honestly knowing that they were there and grossed me out to see them squirming I don't want to. However I just want to know for future reference. If I can I am going to make stock out of the small bird. Not much meat on the bird.

Mmmm... extra meat!
droolin.gif
Seriously though, large roundworms are in the digestive tract, not in the edible meat. The meat is safe to eat.

Back
Top Bottom