Can you entertain your chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lolas lil farm, Apr 8, 2017.

1. lolas lil farm

lolas lil farm Just Hatched

Apr 8, 2017
    How can I make my new chicks like me?

1 person likes this.
  2. Red5

Red5 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2017
    I've been clipping sodworms with scissors treating them which seems to make them very excited and also playing classical and jazz music. They are kinda diggin me :p Seriously, I am doing that.

1 person likes this.
  3. MigraineMan

MigraineMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2017
    Frederick, Maryland
    Bribes. Mealworms or grit in your hand ...

1 person likes this.
  4. MageofMist

MageofMist Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2016
    Britain
    My chicks imprinted on me from the moment they hatched, but I keep up the bribery so they don't go feral =P

They hatched at a good time as the mealworms are hatching into their third and second generations, so I got some teeni mealworms to treat them with, they also love to peck at sunflower hearts and nigar seeds. Also when lifting them up, slowly scoop your hand under them and wait for the chick to climb on. As grabbing them from above scares them as birds of prey do that. And to show the chicks that you are warm and friendly, breathe warm air on them, which soothes from from my experience... Just be careful as they may try and climb into your mouth!

As for entertaining them, the chicks love chasing laser pointers and going outside when it is warm enough out, you can also provide them a dust bath for them to roll in. My babies started dustbathing at a week old, which I wasn't expecting. XD

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by