1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can you feed chickens dried beans?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by tomato lady, Sep 26, 2009.

1. tomato lady

tomato lady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    Eatonville, WA
    I have several 5 gallon buckets of either kidney beans or pinto beans. If I chop them into smaller size pieces can they be fed to chickens? Will the chickens like them? Will they swell in their crop and cause a problem? What if I soak them first? Cook them?

2. Nemo

Nemo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    N'rn Wisconsin
    The official list says, "Well-cooked only, never dry".

[EDIT] -- I had read somewhere about feeding chickens a diet of sprouts, and I think beans were in the mix somewhere. If I find it, I'll post again. Otherwise, I would stick with the well-cooked only.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  3. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    i think it lists no dried peas or beans, they contain a poison. type in chicken snacks on the search bar and it lists yes and no treats for you

4. RedStarDaddy

RedStarDaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Cook them. They contain phytohaemagglutinin, and cooking will degrade it to non-problematic levels.

RSD

5. tomato lady

May 18, 2009
    Eatonville, WA
    Thanks for your prompt replies. I guess it is a no go unless I cook them. Just what I needed to know. [​IMG]

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Yes. A small amount dry won't kill them (tho it may give them a bellyache) but since it is hard to know where "a small amount" stops and "too much" starts, cook or sprout them first.

Red kidney beans especially, as they have some of the highest amounts of toxins and antinutritional factors of all beans. (Children have been poisoned by eating just like a dozen or so dried kidney beans - odd but true)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

7. tomato lady

May 18, 2009
    Eatonville, WA
    When my grandson was young he was rushed to the hospital from preschool because of kidney beans. He stuffed them up his nose and the teacher thought he was having an asthsma attack. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    California
    That's funny!

9. MichelleT

MichelleT Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2014
    Denver, CO
    So glad this post is here... I soaked too many beans last night (I'm filling two crockpots and still have too many) and was wondering if I could feed them to my girlfriends. I'll be filling a third pot and cooking them on the stove now... Yikes how those things do swell up!

10. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I would not feed uncooked dry beans to chickens, even after soaking. Some uncooked beans can be toxic. Kidney beans for one. There may be others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by