Can you feed duck/goose starter crumbles to chicks?

vjbakke

Songster
8 Years
Mar 21, 2011
MN
My feed store has this in bulk, would it be ok to use for chicks? We will use a layer feed when they are old enough.

My parents and I own a feedstore and I've run into people that DO feed them the duck/ goose starter but I think it's better to be safe than sorry so I would make sure to feed something that says it for chicks. Different species have different needs. Take a look at the label some Duck/Goose starter can be fed to chicks but it will usually state that. Also if you ask your feed store more than likely will be more than happy to help you out by bulking out feed or they may have a bag that has been torn up. We always offered bulk chick feed because not everyone ever got enough chicks to make it worth while to buy a 25/50 lb bag. Good luck

I would be very cautious about doing so. Ducks and Geese, if I remember correctly, don't require quite as much protien as baby chickens (depending on the breed of course). If you are in a pinch and have to use duck/goose feed, make sure the protien is at least 18%, and no more than mid 20s. Each feed store has their own mix, so it's really hard to just give a straight 'yes' or 'no' in this situation. A little research on their contents would clear it up for sure!

Hope that's helpful!

They sell it in bulk so no label. Right now we are feeding a chick grower that is 16% protein. I will pick up some starter that's higher protein.

I don't have a reply just a question. I have two ganders who refuse to eat nothing but the Duck and Goslin starter feed they are set in there own way and they will tip the feed over or something they don't like so can I still fed this to them they go out and eat grass and weeds but when they come back in they want their fed.

Back
Top Bottom