1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can you free range wild turkeys?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by kla86, Dec 8, 2015.

1. kla86

kla86 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2015
    I have 3 heritage turkeys( all hens) and they most of the time hang out with my chickens. All friends. They roost on top of the chicken run every night. They never go far.

I am about to buy adult wild turkeys that are a month older then mine. The guy who is raising these wild turkeys hatched them from eggs and raised them in pens.

My question is , Can I have these wild turkeys free range as well and not run off?
    I am only getting 3. 1 tom and 2 hens.

I have read some about people free ranging but not enough to feel comfortable.

Do I just keep them locked up for a couple weeks and then let them out with my heritage ones?

Thanks!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] My gut says they will eventually wander off taking your domestics with them - especially if there are wild birds in the area.

3. BuffaloridaGirl

BuffaloridaGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

I think it sounds like it might be worth a shot. If they were raised from hatchlings and penned up, they may be used to sticking together and will want to stay close to the pack? If it were me, I would let them free range a small amount of hours each day to start and train them to come back to the coop/pen for treats along with the chickens.

1 person likes this.
  4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I have seen peafowl leave their home to travel with wild turkey flocks - seriously doubt that wild turkeys could resist the attraction. In Warwick RI I saw a flock of wild turkeys that included a Royal Palm hen.

1 person likes this.
  5. R2elk

R2elk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    Not knowing where you live it is impossible to give the proper answer.

Most states require you to have a permit from your state G&F dept. in order to have wild turkeys. Those states typically prohibit free ranging wild turkeys because they don't want them mixing with the actual wild turkeys.

You should check with your local G&F dept. or game warden before you do anything.

1 person likes this.
  6. kla86

kla86 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2015
    I was asking if anyone has had experience doing this. not if it is allowable. which it is here. thanks

7. kla86

kla86 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2015
    Anyone else with experience in free ranging wild turkey breeds that have been human raised all their life?
    My heritage breeds do well free ranging.

thanks!

8. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Should be fine. Buddy has a couple easterns that have been in pen. Always come back.

But if there are wild ones around they could join them and leave.

You run the same risk with domesticated varieties that free range. Free ranging is a risk.

A few people have had wild birds join their flock.

If they are new pen them for couple weeks. Once they figure out where food water and cover is. They shouldnt go to far.

Good luck

9. copper2

copper2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2015
    Searching for Bigfoot
    I have a wild turkey, there like heritage turkeys but slightly smaller and sometimes fly more. I kept my tom in a coop with the heritage turkeys for a week or two.

10. copper2

copper2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2015
    Searching for Bigfoot
    My tom and flock once almost attracted some real wild turkey hens,Lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by