Can you give Bayril to a 3 week old chick

Iditarod

Chirping
May 16, 2019
Colorado
I had just found out my 3 week old chicks were exposed to a respiratory virus and are starting to sneeze and look tired, I lost 1- 10 week old pullet to it (had a necropsy done). I have baytril 10% and started my other pullet on it and she has turned around in less than 2 days :eek:)

I was wondering if I can give just a small pinhead drop 2 times a day to the 3 week old chicks since they are starting to exhibit the same symptoms. Or is there something else I can try. I am already using the Vetrx but it doesn't seem to be stopping the progress on the chicks.

I brought in another Pullet that was infected and before I knew it my 3 others were exposed to it )o; . Live and learn the hard way I guess

Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks

I had just found out my 3 week old chicks were exposed to a respiratory virus and are starting to sneeze and look tired, I lost 1- 10 week old pullet to it (had a necropsy done). I have baytril 10% and started my other pullet on it and she has turned around in less than 2 days :eek:)

I was wondering if I can give just a small pinhead drop 2 times a day to the 3 week old chicks since they are starting to exhibit the same symptoms. Or is there something else I can try. I am already using the Vetrx but it doesn't seem to be stopping the progress on the chicks.

I brought in another Pullet that was infected and before I knew it my 3 others were exposed to it )o; . Live and learn the hard way I guess

Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks
Which respiratory disease did the necropsy show - did they say on your report?

Are all the chicks showing symptoms of respiratory illness? Since you have the Baytril (told you it was good stuff) I would only treat the ones that are exhibiting symptoms.
At that age, it's going to be hard to get a weight on them, so....you may be right on with giving a drop or two, 2 times a day.
@casportpony may have a better idea.

It can be given to the smaller ones, but it would be best to get a weight on them if possible.

When I can get a weight on them I give 0.01 ml per 100 grams twice a day orally.

If you can't get a weight on them, can you get a post a picture so I can guess at a weight?

What was the diagnosis? Was testing done? If it's actually a virus, antibiotics won't fix it. If it's Mycoplasma gallisepticum, it's with them forever, not curable. It's best to know what you are actually fighting!
Baytril is a nice drug, not meant for chickens, especially birds who will produce eggs.
Mary

Hello all and thanks for the replies. The initial report
Stated:
Gross findings:
External:
1. Body condition, poor, emaciated
2. Spleen: dark red to blue with speckled coloration, firm and seemingly larger than
normal, measuring at 2.4 cm by 1.5 cm by 1.5cm.
3. Remaining internal organs were within normal limits
Histopathology pending

When I called and asked the pathologist what their initial thought was they said respiratory and possible salmonella. They were not specific over the phone and said they had to wait for the Histopathology to come back. I let them know that the other Pullet that was housed with the sick one started to do the neck stretching and mouth gape but was reacting well to the Baytril treatment I started and they said to finish a course of treatment since I started it.
They were not very forthcoming but I totally understand since they necropsy was not completed yet. As far as the Baytril I have read 2 different reports so I am confused. They said you could eat the eggs after a 14 day waiting period and 8 days for meat. So any advice would be great on this too.

thanks and I will keep everyone updated

Back
Top Bottom