Can you give grow crumble to freshly hatched chick???

RoxyOtis

Songster
12 Years
Aug 28, 2008
Modesto, CA
My Hen is sitting on ONE egg, that is due to hatch in about a week.This is my first time having baby chicks and the local feed store doesn't have chick starter:eek::mad:. I have an 8 week old chick that I have on grow crumble.

Would grow crumble be ok for a newly hatched baby chick?

If not what are other alternitives I could give them?

Any advice would be helpful, Thanks!

Even the 8 week old should probably be on chick starter. Starter is typically fed from birth to laying...unless they are eatin' chickens. Then you put them on grower. I would ask the feed store to order you a bag of medicated starter. This will help avoid the chicks getting cocci...best of luck!!

I used start & grow from day 1 through week 17 and they did fine. I don't know if it was medicated or not.

Anyone know if you can do it the other way round? Feed chick crumbs to 9+ week olds? Only I have a huge sack of chick crumbs and only one chick.

If not I might just have to get more chicks...

Yeah, no problem. Some like medicated feeds, and often starter vs grower's only difference is medicated vs non medicated respectively since at 8 weeks, they should have been exposed to cocci some how and thus built up an immunity. Many places only have start/grow feed as one type and use it till point of lay. As for starter to older birds, if it's no medicated, shouldn't matter. If it's medicated and only amprolium, doesn't matter, if it contains a sulfa drugs, only matters if they eat it up though point of lay and someone who eats the eggs is alergic to sulfa drugs.

I agree with lizard7 and silkiechicken. I used medicated Starter/Grower with my older birds when they were chicks and with my new chicks until they start laying then I switch to Layer.
jumpy.gif
love.gif

Last edited:
hello i had planned on my mama hen hatching out babys this weekend but she let them get cold and not setting on them no more anyway i was going to feed Flock Raiser i know purina put it out here is there site talking about ithttp://poultry.purinamills.com/OURPRODUCTS/Products/FlockRaiser/default.aspx. I think i read about it on here about feeding it to babys up to your layer hens just be sure the have oyster shells like i said i was going to feed it to my chickens because mamma could eat it then when i put her in with the main flock i would not have to feed them separately

Back
Top Bottom