Can You Hatch Eggs All Year Round???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gervais22, Jun 13, 2008.

1. gervais22

gervais22 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Ontario
    I'm guessing the best time is in spring, can I but eggs in the bator in august? or any time of the year like in the autumn?

2. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    I'm pretty sure you can.. cuz after i hatch out all my eggs i'm going to hatch out some more around september..lol but some people say it's not good cuz the weather but theres a risk in shipping eggs anyway bad or good weather

and as for ducks and geese i don't think you can get eggs for thos until spring cuz thats when they lay eggs the most

3. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    They're your eggs-you can hatch them anytime you want to. Hatching & rearing in the winter months require a little more in the way of housing. [Unless of course you're smart enough to live somewhere warm-which I'm not]

4. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    The problem is to get the chicks feathered out and hardy to get ready for winter-otherwise you need to have heat for them.

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Of course you can! You just have to be prepared for whatever your seasonal weather is to provide for the chicks appropriately.

6. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    I prefer to hatch in the fall and winter but I live in south and we don't have a long cold season. Like everyone has said you just have to be prepared with housing. I keep mine in large brooder boxes till they are feathered out then depending on how many I have they may stay a little longer. If is move them to outside run they get a lamp till they are around four months. One they get close to or move away from

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by