Can you help ID my two hens?

butterfliesdoku

Songster
Mar 11, 2015
Iv'e been looking through this site for quite some time and decided to join today as curiosity has finally gotten me so what breed do you guys think my two chickens are? Let's call one Brown and the other one Black for simplicity sake. The Brown one has been laying the eggs in the last picture. Curiously the Black hen hasn't laid an egg yet and she is 10 months old. These are the only two I have for now. The Brown one has 5 toes on one foot (don't know if that helps) and no feathers on either of their legs.

Last edited:
The brown one is probably a silver-gray Dorking. That's my guess. Not sure about the black, but I see a purple sheen, right?

I am supposed to be getting a Dorking this spring sometime. I am so excited as I have wanted a Dorking ever since I first heard of them. They're named after a town in Surrey (south of London, UK), but were originally from Rome, having been brought to Brittania around the time of Caesar. It always seems like the hatcheries run out of them before I finally get around to ordering. But this year I ordered in December. (Which seems way too early to be thinking about spring chicks!!! But the early worm catches the bird, in this case.)

Last edited:
Yes the black one does have a sort of purple and green sheen and wow the Dorkings must be a pretty old breed! The comb on the black one does have some black in with some "dirty red".

Last edited:
Well looks like you two figured out what my hens are, thanks!

Done and done!
highfive.gif
Yay! Pretty little girls they are! And I almost forgot
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom