Can you help me diagnose?

m61248

Hatching
12 Years
Jan 22, 2008
I have a fen that is about 5 weeks old and she just started hanging her head fwd with a very slight twist. She doesn't raise the head high like the other hens. She eats and drinks, but I am worried this might be a symptom of something worse. Can anyone help me?

This is really very little info to go on (see the sticky ) ...What is the breed? Does she have access to the outside? She may have eaten something toxic or a bug which has fed on a carcass or drank from a stagnant source of water (botulism)...
Ensure she drinks and separate to a quiet stress free and temp stable invironment and monitor her symptoms further. Keeping her hydrated is very important.
What do you feed her?

No she is only about 5 weeks old. She is from a bunch from Mt. Healthy Hatchery in Ohio. She is a Partridge Rock, I have been feeding them Dumor chick starter and Chick Grit. I have also given them some grass since they are confined for now to the indoors. the grass has never been sprayed with any kind of pesticide or herbicide. She is shaking her head alot now. I was thinking of a vet to, but just not sure of the cost. I am afraid is might be something that will spread.

check your feed bag... if it smells musty or such (or has a lot of powder in it) then get a new bag of feed (take the time to check for bugs or such on the packaging also at your feed store) ...I know several ppl who have had problems with their feed but much of it depends on the storage conditions and such (also at the feed store)...
If it were me I would go ahead and gt a new bag of feed (perhaps also a different brand if that is possible) as that MIGHT be the problem and by doing so you could rule this out.
You can give POLYVISOL enfamil (liquid childrens A-B-D vitamins) three drops in beak once a day for a week (cant hurt might help)

I did just that. I threw away the rest of the bag and purchsed a different brand. The hatchery suggested Teramycin. The vet also said a dose of Teramycin for the whole flock wouldn't be a bad Idea. I will also try the vitamin approach. Thanks for all your help.

Hi,
I was just wondering how long you have to wait before you can use the eggs from the chickens that have had Terimyicin.
On the package that we bought it said "do not use their meat or eggs while on his medicaion. Is it day? a month?
I'd really appreciate a reply. Thanks Chris

Before you start unnecessary dosing with antibiotics, you need to assess. Is it possible she hit her head and her neck is sore? Like from jumping off a roost or something?

I agree with trying Poly vi sol first. Usually a twisted neck is a sign of an injury or vitamin deficiency, not an infection needing antibiotics.

Feed stores always seem to recommend Terramycin, which is irresponsible of them, though to be fair, they are just trying to help, even in their ignorance.

Terramycin can linger in the system for a long time

this is from The BarnWorld and Farm and Ranch Superstore page on Terramycin powder
http://www.barnworld.com/sa/p/TERRAMYCIN_SOLUBLE.htm

QUESTION:
I see that you are not supposed to eat eggs from chickens that have been given terramycin. Can the chicken be butchered and eaten after being given terramycin. If so, what is the waiting period. Also, if I have started giving the chicken terramycin (I just started today.), but want to switch to vet rx so that I can eat the eggs, would that be possible? If so, can I stop giving terramycin and then start with the Vet Rx or would there be some type of drug interaction? Thank you!
ANSWER: There could be a trace amount left in the yolk of the egg. It can be especially hard on someone prone to allergies.

QUESTION: Does this mean that the eggs can never be eaten form this chicken although has completed the regimen of the teramycin and may even be a few months passed the initial treatment.
ANSWER: It is recommended that you do not consume the eggs at any time. There can be a trace amount of Terramycin left in the yolk of the egg and if someone is prone to allergies they might have a reaction.

QUESTION: can you eat chickens that were given terramycin hci in the water. what effect if any does it have on humans
ANSWER: There is a possible trace amount of the drug that can be in the yolk of the egg, so it is recommended not to eat eggs from chickens that have been given Terramycin. This is especially important if someone is prone to allergies.

QUESTION: If you give this to chickens laying eggs how long do you wait to eat the eggs?
ANSWER: It is recommended not eating the eggs at any time of a bird that has been given Terramycin. There is a trace amount left in the yolk.

I think "never" is a little extreme, but a safe withdrawal period would be 30 days.

Back
Top Bottom