Can you help me identify the breed and gender of my chicken?

Do they typically come without them? Either way, no eggs (olive or otherwise) will be coming from this bird.
If they do come maybe keep him for scientific study and perhaps the asexuality may breed self repopulating chickens which would be vastly interesting.

I would expect to see at least a partial crest on a OE.
The Sapphire doesn't but they can bump up, I have an Olive Egger and she has the typical mohawk type headdress accenting her comb. Not sure what they mixed to make the Sapphire because hoover's keeping the 'recipe' a secret.

If they do come maybe keep him for scientific study and perhaps the asexuality may breed self repopulating chickens which would be vastly interesting.

The Sapphire doesn't but they can bump up, I have an Olive Egger and she has the typical mohawk type headdress accenting her comb. Not sure what they mixed to make the Sapphire because hoover's keeping the 'recipe' a secret.
I have no idea what you're trying to say. I edited my post though. The "Sapphire Olive Eggers" do have partial crests.

I have no idea what you're trying to say. I edited my post though. The "Sapphire Olive Eggers" do have partial crests.
The first part was about it being no eggs and a male (joke reference if it did indeed lay an egg as a rooster with female parts and male).

TSC lists the breeds included in the rare standard and it's the only breed close in coloring as it's not an orpington. They grab one of the listed breeds at random quantities thus making it a rare mix even if only 1 or 2 of ten is 'rare' it's up to the worker at the hatchery to pick from the list. Think it may be a prairie bluebell egger (as one of the egger type mixes of random breedings)then?

The first part was about it being no eggs and a male (joke reference if it did indeed lay an egg as a rooster with female parts and male).

TSC lists the breeds included in the rare standard and it's the only breed close in coloring as it's not an orpington. They grab one of the listed breeds at random quantities thus making it a rare mix even if only 1 or 2 of ten is 'rare' it's up to the worker at the hatchery to pick from the list. Think it may be a prairie bluebell egger (as one of the egger type mixes of random breedings)then?
Sapphire Splash is a lot closer in coloring and is also sold at TSC. I think that is far more likely. Mistakes happen. Especially at TSC.

Prarie Bluebell Eggers are supposed to have pea combs, so not that.

Season 1 Pop GIF by Schitt's Creek

Yeah, with Cream Crested Legbars going into the makeup of a Sapphire Olive Egger the bird would have a crest. Honestly, I'm not convinced it's Splash either, because there is some visible scalloping on the feathers. Usually, Splash won't show that, but Blued will. Blues can also come in light, medium, and dark blue due to the nature of the gene and the feather structure. Have we determined the bird for sure came from Hoovers?

Here is their Sapphire Gem:
1638821206829.png

And the description:
1638821240589.png

They are idiots calling anything Lavender. That just leads to morons thinking that's an appropriate thing to say when dealing with the Andalusian-based Blue gene which is not at all appropriate. They are either Black (no blue gene), Blue (one blue and one black gene), or Splash (two blue genes). Lavender is another gene/dilution of black entirely.

Best We Can Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

Oh, y'all, I tried but I can't. Hoovers are idiots. I was going to go through and look at the rest of their blue breeds and I can't get past Sapphire Splash? Like they don't know what it is? The description is also awful. It's like they are trying to find a way to market the Splash version of the Sapphire Gem, only those birds have a different body type. So they are hatchery garbage. lol

angry schitts creek GIF by CBC

To the OP, the bird is a cockerel. If you'd like to go through Hoover's website, go to chickens and scroll paying attention to breeds that are blue. Ignore anything that has feathered feet (Cochins) and rose combs (Wyandottes and Layer mixes). Look at the legs and if the color is dark, ignore those too. Your little man has yellow with a grey wash over the front. This initially made me think he might be a true Blue Plymouth Rock, but I don't think they offer the real deal. Possibly the stupid hybrid, but the males are sex-linked and barred while females are solid.

Comedy Crying GIF by CBC

Back
Top Bottom