Can you help me with the 1588 Genesis?

IggiMom

Songster
10 Years
Apr 12, 2009
West Virginia
My new Genesis is about a degree higher than it should be, so I need to turn it down.

Has anyone done this who can describe how it is done?

The instructions that come with it do tell, but are not really very specific.
hmm.png

Thanks.

Catherine

I think the thermometer is ok. There are three of them in there, all saying the same thing. They are on the floor of the incubator, where the eggs are.

And my turkey eggs hatched two days early, another good sign.

I did finally figure it out. My problem was that the place where you turn it down is so teeny weeny that I did not see it at first.

I turned it down with a toothpick.

I turned it down one notch, and it seems to have gone down two degrees rather than one, but perhaps it will adjust if I give it a while.

Sigh.

There is a lot to learning to hatch with an incubator, isn't there? I had no idea it was so complicated.
he.gif

I'll get there. I think.

Catherine

Catherine, there is actually a difference in temperature between the wire mesh surface and the top of the eggs. I believe it is recommended to measure the temperature at the top of the eggs.

If your temperature was high on the screen then it was even higher at the top of the eggs. With the thermometers reading a degree high at screen level and your turkeys hatching early I think it's safe to say the temperature was too high. Now that you've turned the temperature down you might try measuring the temperature at the top of the eggs and see what you get....even though the temperature dropped two degrees at the screen level you might be right on target at the top of the eggs.
smile.png

Ed

Last edited:
my 1588 ran about a degree higher (100.3 or so) for the first hatch or 2, now it's broken in and running around 99.7. I wouldn't worry about it, the babies may come a day or 2 early, but I didn't have any problems.

Quote:
Ok. After letting the incubator be all night, I measured the temp on top of the eggs. It is 100.

So that should be ok, right?

Catherine

Well, years ago the "perfect" temperature was 100F. Then, as time went by technology and scientific discoveries lowered the "perfect" temperature to 99.5F. Those old geezers back then hatched a bunch of eggs...I'd say that 100F rocks, just tell everyone you're doing a "retro-hatch"!
smile.png

Seriously, you should be fine at 100F.
Best wishes,
Ed

Back
Top Bottom