Can you hide chickens?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Tshelly, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Tshelly

Tshelly Just Hatched

Mar 20, 2017
    We just moved to Lancaster County, Pa to a tiny town by the river know as Bainbridge, Pa. Population of 1,355, so a very small town. We live in a development where there is roughly 15 houses and we all have about .24-.26 acre lots. We are the only house in the development to have a detached garage and within the detached garage is a possible chicken coop that looks like to have 4-6 nest boxes. I really wanted chickens but then we moved into a development. Then I found this and I think it might be a sign. We are in the back of the development so there are woods behind us. So we only have two Neighbor to worry about. Can I hid the chickens? I tried to find the poultry rules for our township and I can't find them.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Tshelly, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! I'd really hate to see you get some birds and then suffer the heartbreak of having to give them up if they are not allowed. I think you should call city hall and see what you can learn. If the answer is negative, visit this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/37/local-chicken-laws-ordinances-and-how-to-change-them
    And you might inquire in your state thread as well: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread
    Best wishes and I hope the news if positive on keeping chickens!!

3. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Be Happy! Read more. Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
  4. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

x2 on redsoxs advice...it would be hard to get attached to them, then find out you can't have them. Hiding them could be difficulty and not worth the risk IMO. Check out the link KikisGirls has given you and see if you can't go about having a backyard flock openly & legally.

Best of luck to you!

5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Tshelly [​IMG] Welcome!

Sorry but I agree with the other posters; chickens are difficult to hide because they can be noisy and depending on how your garage is set up, it may not be the best place to keep them as they enjoy sunshine and scratching in the dirt.

Also as mentioned, having to get rid of them once you had become attached would be heartbreaking as they quickly become an important part of your family and life.

I hope you are able to find you local regulations and that you are able to have chickens.

I also hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

6. Tshelly

Tshelly Just Hatched

Mar 20, 2017
    The garage has a cut out from the inside of the cooo to the backyard.

7. Hillaire

Hillaire Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2017
    Hudson Valley NY
    I would definitely look into it to see what is allowed just because the previous home owner had them doesn't mean it was legal, hopefully it's allowed because it sounds like you already have a set up for it which is half the battle... good luck [​IMG]

8. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello, and welcome to BYC! I am quite glad you joined us, please make yourself at home, I think you are going to like it here! :frow

~Cuz

9. AmberBQuail

AmberBQuail Just Hatched

Mar 14, 2017
    Rhode Island
    I'm in the same position. Grew up with a yard full of chickens. Now that i have my own family, really wanted to have chickens again but a no go where we live.

We decided to hatch blue breasted (button) quail. Currently in the bator now.
    I had a small group of them a few years ago, before my son was born. I absolutly loved having them. And you can still eat their eggs!

Maybe you could keep a small group of cotourix if you can't keep chickens. Just a thought. Miss keeping a flock of "girls". Hopefully one day.

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Some areas that do not allow chickens, but do allow guineas and quail. Stealth chickens are very hard to keep secret, there is always one neighbor that feels compelled to report to animal control or police.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by