Can you hide chickens?

Tshelly

In the Brooder
Mar 20, 2017
We just moved to Lancaster County, Pa to a tiny town by the river know as Bainbridge, Pa. Population of 1,355, so a very small town. We live in a development where there is roughly 15 houses and we all have about .24-.26 acre lots. We are the only house in the development to have a detached garage and within the detached garage is a possible chicken coop that looks like to have 4-6 nest boxes. I really wanted chickens but then we moved into a development. Then I found this and I think it might be a sign. We are in the back of the development so there are woods behind us. So we only have two Neighbor to worry about. Can I hid the chickens? I tried to find the poultry rules for our township and I can't find them.

Greetings from Kansas, Tshelly, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined our community! I'd really hate to see you get some birds and then suffer the heartbreak of having to give them up if they are not allowed. I think you should call city hall and see what you can learn. If the answer is negative, visit this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/37/local-chicken-laws-ordinances-and-how-to-change-them
And you might inquire in your state thread as well: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread
Best wishes and I hope the news if positive on keeping chickens!!

welcome-byc.gif

x2 on redsoxs advice...it would be hard to get attached to them, then find out you can't have them. Hiding them could be difficulty and not worth the risk IMO. Check out the link KikisGirls has given you and see if you can't go about having a backyard flock openly & legally.

Best of luck to you!

G’Day from down under Tshelly
frow.gif
Welcome!

Sorry but I agree with the other posters; chickens are difficult to hide because they can be noisy and depending on how your garage is set up, it may not be the best place to keep them as they enjoy sunshine and scratching in the dirt.

Also as mentioned, having to get rid of them once you had become attached would be heartbreaking as they quickly become an important part of your family and life.

I hope you are able to find you local regulations and that you are able to have chickens.

I also hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

I would definitely look into it to see what is allowed just because the previous home owner had them doesn't mean it was legal, hopefully it's allowed because it sounds like you already have a set up for it which is half the battle... good luck
jumpy.gif

Hello, and welcome to BYC! I am quite glad you joined us, please make yourself at home, I think you are going to like it here! :frow

~Cuz

I'm in the same position. Grew up with a yard full of chickens. Now that i have my own family, really wanted to have chickens again but a no go where we live.

We decided to hatch blue breasted (button) quail. Currently in the bator now.
I had a small group of them a few years ago, before my son was born. I absolutly loved having them. And you can still eat their eggs!

Maybe you could keep a small group of cotourix if you can't keep chickens. Just a thought. Miss keeping a flock of "girls". Hopefully one day.

Some areas that do not allow chickens, but do allow guineas and quail. Stealth chickens are very hard to keep secret, there is always one neighbor that feels compelled to report to animal control or police.

Back
Top Bottom