Can you identify this rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Nemmie, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Nemmie

Nemmie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2013
    Hey there!

My friend has a rooster and she's not quite sure of the breed. She's from Bulgaria and apparently it'd very common to have these chickens where she's from. Any chance anyone can help?

[​IMG]

2. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    No idea, but he sure is pretty!

3. Darth Bantam

Darth Bantam Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2013
    Likely a California Grey

4. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

x2, A California Grey is a cross breed though.

5. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    California Gray is not a cross. Probably thinking of California Whites- which are a cross of CG and white leghorns.

If this bird is in Bulgaria. not very likely at all for it being a California Gray. Would be better to ask the locals or an Bulgarian/European poultry forum.

6. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    I live in USA, but originaly am from Bulgaria.This bird is probably from hatchery layer Rocks if is pure at all . And I do not say that hatchery Rocks are pure.

7. Davidlonghair76

Davidlonghair76 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2013
    Salisbury N.C.
    I'm going to say it looks to be closest to to the NORTH HOLLAND BLUE .
    In Great Britain and the U.S the legs of the NHB should be feathered,but in thier home country of the Netherlandsthe breed standardsstipulateno feathers on the legs.The bird must always be blue-grey cuckoo in colour,making itvery similar in apparrance to the most commonly seen Maran colouring.Because Marans and NHB are connected by a common ancestor,Malines or Mechelen Fowl from belgium,and alsoshare some Plymoth Rock blood.
    The NHB cockerel,like the Maran,is generally lighter in colour than the hen,and it has a medium sized red comb and red lobes.Introduced into the U.K.in the 1930's by Les Miles,it was considered a duel-purpose bird.Nowadays,although rare,it has a dedicated following of fanciers who appreciateit's docile nature and ease of keepin.Excellent free range birds,NHB are known to become overweight if kept confined,a legacyof the days when they wereas much prized for their table-bird characterisics as for their egg-laying capabilities.In some countries,the breed is more corectly known as the North Holland Fowl.
    (Keeping Chickens,Getting the best from your chickens,-Jeremy Hobson,and Celia Lewis)

8. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    looks like a barred holland to me

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by