Can you increase egg production?

:welcome

There can be a lot of factors at play. One could be their breed. If they are production birds (bred to lay a lot of eggs early on and a high number per year) they could be toward the end of laying regularly. Sometimes these chickens can develop reproductive issues as they get older. Feed is another possibility. High protein in their feed can help. Do they free range? If so, they could be laying somewhere out in the yard. Could something be getting the eggs? If your coop is open, the eggs could be getting stolen by rats, skunks, raccoons, or other critters.

:welcome

There can be a lot of factors at play. One could be their breed. If they are production birds (bred to lay a lot of eggs early on and a high number per year) they could be toward the end of laying regularly. Sometimes these chickens can develop reproductive issues as they get older. Feed is another possibility. High protein in their feed can help. Do they free range? If so, they could be laying somewhere out in the yard. Could something be getting the eggs? If your coop is open, the eggs could be getting stolen by rats, skunks, raccoons, or other critters.

I don't know the breeds, but there are about four different breeds. The feed is a high protein feed. They don't free range. Coop is closed and attached to a large run that is critter proof. The high production bird thing could be a possibility. Not sure. Maybe we just need to get some more hens?!

I have 8 hens of varying breeds given to me about 8 months ago, said they were about 2 yrs. old. How long do hens keep laying? Anything I can do to increase production? Only getting 0-2 eggs per day.
Yes its easy to increase egg production get more chickens. That what they told me but it did not work . and i had to put up with all that crowing after i did it to.

Back
Top Bottom