can you keep diamond dove finches and quail in the same aviary

Really good to know. I'm in central tx but it does get pretty cold for a couple of months. I'm still building the pen so trying to get everything that might be needed before I put any birds.

So glad I found this thread!

I am looking to have an outdoor aviary for the same birds (quail, diamond doves, and small finches) but would like to go with the larger quails (not buttons) so I can harvest their eggs too.

My major concern was the heat of summer. We live in the outskirts of Phoenix so triple digit temperatures are pretty normal in the summertime. Only rarely do winter nights dip below 32F.

Does anyone know if this is possible in the heat? Any tips?

I'm also wondering about the floor of the aviary. Can it just be the dirt or should I put something down? (dirt, here in the Sonoran desert, means compacted, dry, hard ground that sees less than 7" of rain per year)

Just found this thread too. I have a chick building that I hatch chicken chicks in and brood till they can go outside. I have a Canary and some Society finches in that 8 by 16 building (heated/cooled and well insulated with windows for light and ventilation. I'm planning to build in one end, 3 foot deep and 8 wide on one end for an aviary. The floor will have shavings and I see a lot of breeders who put button quail in their aviaries and they eat what the finches drop but I was wondering if I could put a few chicken chicks in that aviary. I don't see they would be much different than button quail but I would keep game bird chick crumbles for them.... question is, would that harm the finches if they ate any? I wouldn't be keeping older chicks in there, just the ones transitioning from no heat lights before they go outside. The room is kept between 68 and 72 degrees.

I have 5 Japanese and 5 Italian quail, 10 zebra finches and hopefully soon, a pair of java sparrows, a pair of canaries and a pair of diamond doves in a L 17ft - H 7ft - W 10ft outdoor aviary. They seem to get along fine although when I go in there to clean it and change food, water e.c.t the quail keep flying into the mesh. Should I trim there wings or leave them? Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom