Can You Keep Different Breeds Of Ducks Together

Gilmore Farms

Chirping
Dec 12, 2015
Hello, I'm building a new coop with New ducks. I have 3 khaki Campbell's now and in my new coop I am getting 3-4 more ducks:) I want them for eggs but also I want them to be friendly with with me! I'm wondering which breed(s) will give me the most eggs? If I get different breeds do I need to get more than 1 of each breed or can I get 1 of 4 different breeds? Thanks for any advice at all, and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm far from a duck expert, but I've had a few breeds over the years including Khaki Campbells, Indian Runners, Pekings, Muscovies, Buffs, Rouens, and Swiss, and kept them together with no problems. Unless you want to breed purebred ducks, you can get as many of each breed as you want. Khaki Campbells are the best layers followed closely by Indian Runners. You might want to post on our Duck section in Other Backyard Breeds under the Forum at the top of the page and take advantage of our duck experts there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Merry Christmas to you as well. .

welcome-byc.gif

Happy holidays to you!

I've been researching ducks in hope of getting some next year (I currently have chickens). From what I've picked up, you can a mixed flock of ducks just like you can of chickens but you will have an integration period to work through when adding new ducks to your KC's. Since I live in FL where we get so hot & humid in the summer, I was advised to get the lighter weight ducks (like KC's and Indian Runners) and avoid the heavier birds.

There's a wonderful duck forum here on BYC, I'm sure someone there will be able to help you out.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

Thank You all for your warm welcomes!!!! So I have decided to add a khaki campbell to my existing flock, but I have a few questions. First, do I need to keep my new hen separate for a few days? Will my existing 3 ducks except her as their own family as they do now right of the bat or will it take a few days for them to accept her. Thanks again for all your guys warm welcomes.

Thank You all for your warm welcomes!!!! So I have decided to add a khaki campbell to my existing flock, but I have a few questions. First, do I need to keep my new hen separate for a few days? Will my existing 3 ducks except her as their own family as they do now right of the bat or will it take a few days for them to accept her. Thanks again for all your guys warm welcomes.

Your welcome. Again, I would suggest posting these questions on our Duck section where our duck experts hang out.

Back
Top Bottom